Author Topic: Is Street Preaching a proper method of evangelism?  (Read 2010 times)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Is Street Preaching a proper method of evangelism?
« on: September 14, 2018, 12:52:54 PM »
As men like Kenneth on our forum will testify, many have come to him and told him he shouldn't be out preaching openly to the masses because Jesus did not teach this. I thought of this today as I was studying for a new article I'm working on because, not only did Christ preach openly to crowds MANY times throughout His ministry, but I would like to remind everyone that He said:
What I tell you in darkness [i.e. in secret], that speak ye in light [i.e. openly]: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
-Mat 10:27

I'll also add this too, since Kenneth has told us that many will tell him that he is only to preach "love" and not repentance. In the next chapter, look what Jesus did:
Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:
-Mat 11:20

To 'upbraid' means to charge with fault or to reprove for correction and instruction because they had no grief and godly sorrow of their sin, even among those who believed and were healed.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:16:45 PM by creationliberty »
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
Re: Is Street Preaching a proper method of evangelism?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 01:53:09 PM »
Not surprising, I have just a few verses that I believe justify preaching in the open air:.  ;)

For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
1 Corinthians 9:16 KJV

Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.
Revelation 5:12 KJV

Go up to Lebanon, and cry; and lift up thy voice in Bashan, and cry from the passages: for all thy lovers are destroyed.  I spake unto thee in thy prosperity; but thou saidst, I will not hear. This hath been thy manner from thy youth, that thou obeyedst not my voice.  The wind shall eat up all thy pastors, and thy lovers shall go into captivity: surely then shalt thou be ashamed and confounded for all thy wickedness.
Jeremiah 22:20-22 KJV

Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.
Isaiah 58:1 KJV

Definition: Preach
     to publish, proclaim openly: something which has been done

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mark 16:15 KJV

Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.
Acts 17:17 KJV

John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
Mark 1:4 KJV

From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Matthew 4:17 KJV

By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.
Proverbs 16:6 KJV

Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord , and depart from evil.
Proverbs 3:7 KJV

A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident.
Proverbs 14:16 KJV

The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
Proverbs 14:27 KJV

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
Revelation 3:19 KJV

When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
Ezekiel 3:18 KJV

And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.  So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
Jonah 3:4-5 KJV

But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?  Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
Matthew 3:7-8 KJV

Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
Leviticus 19:17 KJV

Romans 10:14 KJV
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 02:22:06 PM »
The reason I put emphasis on the verse I provided is specifically because what Jesus did is not necessarily what we are commanded to do in every instance. Whereas He told us to go forth and preach from the rooftops, which is a way to address a large group of people on the street, He would not speak out like that in a loud voice in the streets:
He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.
-Mat 12:19

The word 'cry' in this context is not sobbing in tears, but rather, it is speaking with a loud voice. Because He was working miracles, this was to avoid becoming a popular spectacle by the people, since He was to come showing that He is meek and lowly of heart. (Mat 11:29) The combination of miracles will attract a crowd and popularity, as the wicked, fake "faith" healers have done, but it is unto babes (i.e. those who are humbled in repentance) that the truth of His Word is revealed. (Mat 11:25)

Thus, the importance is a direct commandment from Christ to go into the streets and preach these things openly, but also to explain to us why He did not do this on the streets in the same way the apostles went out and did.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 02:53:46 PM »
I see what you mean, Chris. I sometimes have people challenge me while I'm preaching by asking "would Jesus do this?"

My job is not to do exactly Jesus did (cleanse lepers, walk on water, raise the dead, feed the multitude miraculously, be crucified, raise myself from the dead, etc etc).
My job is to do what Jesus told me to do.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Masha

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 06:44:02 AM »
I just had a thought. In the old days most people couldn't read and writings were very rare. It took until the early middle age with the invention of the bookpress that larger amount of people could access writing and therefor the Scriptures. It took a whole lot longer for the Bible to be available for the 'common' people. So back in the day the only way to spread the Gospel was to preach it. In marketplaces with a crowd and in smaller settings with personal conversations.

I therefor surely would say that streetpreaching is a great and Biblical way to spread the Gospel. I do not agree with all the evangelist out there and some of their methods, but I do believe it is our duty to witness and tell as many people as possible about Jesus our Lord, and His law and His salvation.