Author Topic: Brian's introduction  (Read 1476 times)

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 10
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Brian
  • Belief: Other
Brian's introduction
« on: August 13, 2022, 07:20:06 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thank you for hearing my testimony. I was born again at age 13 by repenting for my sin and putting my trust in God. That was when I understood I had broken God's law and that Jesus had died for our sin as the only way to make us right with God and have eternal life. I am now 55, so I have had my share of stumbles, tests, and blessings. A few of my biggest blessings include having a godly wife and two adult children who are both born again.  My wife was a missionary in Tanzania for about 6 years, where she lived in a Muslim village and did home church with a small group of believers. And I have gotten to do missions in Haiti and Honduras. God has opened some very interesting doors for us.  We have done futbol ministry the past few years in Costa Rica and in the inner city of Tampa.  We live in Sarasota, FL, so we mostly view our local community as a missions field. We enjoy sharing the Good News and serving youth.

Our Father has continued to unveil Truth, as I have searched and love to read his Word (through Geneva and KJV, which is another thing about this ministry that I think it important). About 10 years ago, I started more clearly seeing the evil of the church industry, which we have both escaped.  God has enabled us to lead home church for the past 5 years. When we lived near Tampa, we had a fascinating collection of international students from the nearby university. We saw at least one become born again, and others grow in their faith along with us. We had students from New Guinea, Peru, China, Haiti, Taiwan, etc.

We recently found this ministry, and it's as though Chris and I are soul brothers in terms of how clearly and critically we see Truth, such as how the prostitute church has sold itself.  I've retired from a corporate career in management, which may have helped me see how to follow the money trail and how much more corporate the church industry is than many realize.

We value interaction in worship, and today I pleasantly noticed that this ministry seems to offer some interaction on its group video calls.  So my wife and I look forward to hopefully getting admitted soon (after my posts) and encouraging this body and being blessed with a like-minded family. Because we recently moved to Sarasota, we hope this is God's will to become part of this family.

Godspeed,
Brian

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Brian's introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 10:34:26 PM »
All I can say is: Very unique. Very interesting read. I'm cautiously optimistic, and hope to learn more about you Brian. :)

Out of curiosity, how did you find this site?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 10:39:08 PM by creationliberty »
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 02:39:54 PM »
My wife found it. She is a great detective. If I remember right, it was through Telegram. Of course people like you and I wish everyone would try to read the bible and be open to the Truth. But occasionally I find myself wishing that those who won't read the bible will at least look at certain Telegram channels that dish out Truth. We are not big into social media, because of the censorship, so it's a bit refreshing for us to find something like Telegram, even though no source is perfect. I have actually just referred a couple new Christian friends to your Telegram and to your article on Devil's Church and your article on Christian music. They have accepted our invitation our invitation for dinner at our home on Thursday. It should be very interesting. Our experience is that people who say they are Christians have all kinds of responses. I also enjoy your Telegram.  The only other I read regularly is Dr Jane Ruby. I wish she would dress modestly, but aside from that, she's been delivering concise, clear messages on the Truth about this covid scam or scheme. That is another channel that would be so helpful to so many non-believers, or even some of our friends and neighbors who claim to be Christian but have fallen hook, line, and sinker.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 03:54:37 PM »
I think I understand what you mean, and I agree on all counts. :)

Believe it or not, I haven't liked social media either. It's just not a good place for thorough discussion, which is the reason I originally created this forum. But right now, it's difficult for me to get a lot of my research, writing, and videos out in the public eye without it.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 05:20:03 PM »
I know what you mean. By the way, I hope to sometimes quote verses in the requested structure. I seem to be a decent 'end-user,' so that shouldn't be an issue. But perhaps more than many, I tend to speak God's word into people without always quoting the verse. I'm not saying we shouldn't, but in trying to at least always start by imitating Christ, I noticed a long time ago that he tended to quote His own Word without verse numbers. Then I learned the Geneva version was the first to create verse numbers, which I think is kind of cool. But I also find (and hope) that sometimes when I quote a verse without the number, it encourages someone to look it up, if that person doesn't know.  Sometimes I'll even smile in a discussion with a new believer or non-believer and challenge them to look it up. So I've memorized a lot of verses, and with my older age sometimes I don't even always remember the exact verse. I wish I was like our daughter, as she is a verse machine. :)

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 05:39:28 PM »
Understandable, but for me, I have to do it. The reason is because, since I was little, I have ALWAYS been wrong. Not that I am wrong in everything I say, but I am treated to always be wrong, no matter what I say or do, and even when I turn out to be right over and over again, I am still treated as if I am always wrong.

Therefore, I have to back up EVERYTHING I say. However, in the process of doing this, I have committed more Scripture to recall than I've ever had before, and I'm still learning more. Thus, it has become a practice of mine, not just for the sake of my opposition, but for my learning process, to make sure I am armed and prepared with Scripture at all times, no matter the circumstance.

(Also, I've listened to a lot of leavened preachers in the past, so to make sure I'm not quoting something incorrect or out of context from something I previously learned, I have to continually double check myself.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 05:41:50 PM by creationliberty »

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 08:32:24 PM »
Totally understand. We can never go wrong quoting instead of paraphrasing. And the verses break up your articles really well and give me timely quotes as I read myself or share with others. It never ceases to amaze me how many great verses there are.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet. (KJV - Psalms 119:105)

John93

• Newly Registered (Forum LVL 0)
  • Edification: 5
    • View Profile
  • First Name: John
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 01:56:32 AM »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing your testimony! Definitely a good read. I'm in Florida as well (Tampa area). It's shocking how similar many churches run compared to a typical corporate style business. Many 501c3 churches have a board of directors, "Senior Pastor" (CEO, face of the company/"brand") etc.

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Elissa
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 07:32:42 AM »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the introduction, it's been an interesting read along with your other posts. You seem to have quite a lot of experience which is interesting and a good example for us here.

A few of my biggest blessings include having a godly wife and two adult children who are both born again.

It's really nice to hear that your children are also born again. I don't hear about that happening very often. How old are your children? And have they looked at any CLE materials? They don't have to of course if they don't want to--but I was curious if they have because they might enjoy it if they're also Christians.

Our Father has continued to unveil Truth, as I have searched and love to read his Word (through Geneva and KJV, which is another thing about this ministry that I think it important).

I know very little about the Geneva so I was wondering why you also use that one along with KJB? Chris has an article on the King James Bible, you may be interested to read it if you haven't. I have gotten more from the KJB than I have any of the other versions, and I'm glad I switched over when I learned about how the others are corrupt.

Out of curiosity, since you've found CLE what has been your favorite teaching you've found and why?
"Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better." (Ecclesiastes 7:3)

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 04:45:37 PM »
Thank you Ellie. It's nice to meet someone from a neighboring state.:) As for me being experienced, I have to laugh, because that reminds me I'm experienced in making lots of mistakes. I also grew up with older siblings, so I have always felt young. I'm slowly realizing that when I meet with people, I'm often the older or oldest.  It's good for my humility!  My son and daughter are in their 20's. I don't know if they have been on this site yet, but I plan to mention it to them. I think I've shared at least one of Chris' article links recently. 

Regarding Geneva, I'm glad you asked why I like it, because it’s important for any group to decide what version(s) it uses and to share that up front.  Since you mentioned Chris’ book on KJV, yes, I have read and appreciate it. And I’ve previously spent hours reading and studying the history of both translations.

First, I prefer to only use Geneva and KJV.  Let me say there are various  reasons I prefer Geneva.  But I also use the KJV, partly because Geneva has some spellings and vernacular that can be hard to understand. In fact, so far in a couple posts I have only quoted the KJV, out of respect, because that seems to be the primary version this group uses. And there is something to be said for people being on the same page.

Similarly, I also like Chris’ title of “Why I use the KJV,” because he speaks for himself. There is a big difference between Chris or me or anyone giving reasons why they use one version, versus telling others not to use any other version.  If it happens this group has agreed to that position for the KJV, then I would respectfully not participate. I hope that’s not the case.  And I don’t think that’s the case, because I’ve seen at least one other post referring to reading Geneva.

Since you mention you know very little about Geneva, I would encourage you to learn about it for at least an hour, so my preview doesn’t sway you in any direction. It’s a fascinating topic, given it involves many of our republic’s great founders.  I also prefer not to say all other versions than the KJV are ‘corrupt,’ because that would include the Geneva, for which you mention knowing very little. I hope you will agree as you read it and read about it. In fact, the Geneva came before KJV, and KJV used much of Geneva’s translation. They are very similar versions, and much more similar to each other than the ‘new age’ versions. I do agree the ‘new age’ versions are corrupt, because of the motives behind them and the sheer number and seriousness of deception.

Since you left a link to Chris’ book, I just did a quick search of Geneva.  It looks like Chris  has only one paragraph with one concern about Geneva regarding one word. I do think it’s concerning in reading that paragraph that apparently there have been people who wrote to him claiming CLE should only use the Geneva. Similarly, I think it would be concerning to hold the opposite position. I also think it’s important for us to be equally critical of the KJV and Geneva.

As one preview of a reason for preferring Geneva, you may discover that it appears King James set at least one improper rule for his KJV translators. It required them to translate the Greek word ‘ecclesia’ as ‘church’ and not its meaning of community. It appears the king’s motives were wrong, which is not surprising given his abuse of the evil divine right of king concept. I also question why the translators agreed to that. There were other men of outstanding character, including founders of this republic, who were willing to go to great lengths not to bow to a man, or be a respecter of man. That practice reminds me of the new age translations, where the publishers are constantly paying translators to revise versions, to sell more books.
As one other preview of a reason for preferring Geneva, and on a more positive note, I greatly admire a lot of this nation's forefathers. Many of them preferred the Geneva over the KJV. So that is one interesting thing to read about.  I admire people who obeyed God in seeking justice and trying to escape a politician, sometimes risking their lives. For example, I wonder how many believers would feel about a Joe Biden bible, or a bible named after any other politician, even if the translation seemed more accurate than others. I've found online that many people who adamantly support the KJV seem to discount a lot of the major flaws of the King. But everyone can agree he had believed in the absurdly evil concept of the divine right of kings, and that idea had enormous negative implications.  It seems to me that while the KJV translators came up with a very accurate version, like the Geneva, there should have been much concern about a politician putting his name on it. It certainly seems that pride led to the king naming the book after himself, or calling it authorized (by himself), as if Geneva and other version were unauthorized by God.  Ironically, one of my first discussions here has been about how important the source of Truth is. So as we put ourselves in others’ shoes, it's not hard to see the struggle some people may have today, especially nonbelievers, in considering reading a book that comes across as endorsing or being influenced by a politician, especially someone who believed in something as absurd as divine right of kings.

I will always wish the KVJ had been named better and not been associated with that king, since God says we are not to associate with evil or with people of certain character.  I understand some people try to excuse that by saying it’s the Authorized Version, but that name sounds just as snooty and suspect. So I read the KJV with respect, but I hold my nose thinking about the title. To try to use a funny analogy with Chris’ Telegram, naming a bible after the corrupt king seems like a Deep State move, whereas the Geneva maybe could be compared more to the grassroots decentralized version of bitcoin.

Oh, I see you had one more question about what I've learned. One thing is it's great simply to get other believers' perspectives. The other thing that comes to mind are Chris' 2 books on Devil's Church and Music. They are really detailed and get to the heart of two critical deceptions, which helps all of us.

By the way, since I notice you're a moderator, I wonder if you can please show me how to mark someone's post as encouraging. I saw some mention of it, but now I can't find it.

Hope I answered your questions. I look forward to learning more about people in this group.  So are you originally from Alabama? How long have you been in the group?  What is your favorite part of the group calls?

Godspeed.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 07:58:09 PM »
Hi Brian

A welcome to the forum from me too.

I will always wish the KVJ had been named better and not been associated with that king, since God says we are not to associate with evil or with people of certain character.  I understand some people try to excuse that by saying it’s the Authorized Version, but that name sounds just as snooty and suspect. So I read the KJV with respect, but I hold my nose thinking about the title. To try to use a funny analogy with Chris’ Telegram, naming a bible after the corrupt king seems like a Deep State move, whereas the Geneva maybe could be compared more to the grassroots decentralized version of bitcoin.

When I talk with people I always refer to the Bible as the Holy Bible which is even printed on the front cover and then comment that it is often also referred to as the King James Bible. I do that specifically for the reason that it separates it as much as possible from any person in a political position and as Christians we are not respecters of persons in such a manner.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 12:29:08 PM »
Thank you Kevin. I appreciate that idea. I suppose if someone asks you why you call it the Holy Bible rather than KJV, it gives you a good opportunity to explain that you prefer to call it that versus after a person's name. Has anyone else asked you that, or have you taken a chance to explain to anyone else why you call it Holy Bible versus KJV?  If so, how has the exchange gone?  I'm hoping it was received well and caused the person to think about this concept of being a respecter of men. Godspeed.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 07:31:15 PM »
Thank you Kevin. I appreciate that idea. I suppose if someone asks you why you call it the Holy Bible rather than KJV, it gives you a good opportunity to explain that you prefer to call it that versus after a person's name. Has anyone else asked you that, or have you taken a chance to explain to anyone else why you call it Holy Bible versus KJV?  If so, how has the exchange gone?  I'm hoping it was received well and caused the person to think about this concept of being a respecter of men. Godspeed.

Thanks for your reply Brian.

It has always gone down quite well that I refer to the Bible as the Holy Bible. What I have found though is that when I had been talking with those who considered themselves to be Christians they usually used incorrect materials such as the NIV and even then they obviously seldom read that nor do they think about Biblical concepts anyway. Hence it was continually falling on deaf ears.

For those who weren't Christians and quite correctly never considered themselves to be Christians all that I was saying meant very little to them and basically they couldn't have cared less. Unfortunately often when I was talking, what I was saying was undermined by church-goers and those with a fake churchianity upbringing.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2022, 09:40:14 PM »
Thank you Kevin, and good morning on your side of the world. It's easy to recall your name, because I have sibling with that name. Can I try to clarify your last post? You started by saying it's always gone well. And I'm glad you mentioned how it goes with so-called Christians and with non-Christians. Yet both of those examples seem like they haven't gone well. So I'm just a bit confused. Regarding your experiences, though, I can certainly relate!

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 02:40:07 AM »
Thank you Kevin, and good morning on your side of the world. It's easy to recall your name, because I have sibling with that name. Can I try to clarify your last post? You started by saying it's always gone well. And I'm glad you mentioned how it goes with so-called Christians and with non-Christians. Yet both of those examples seem like they haven't gone well. So I'm just a bit confused. Regarding your experiences, though, I can certainly relate!

Hi Brian

What I mean by "gone well" is that they haven't been outlandishly aggressive about it.  Those that use leavened and incorrect "Bibles" don't care and basically they don't want to know.  They commonly use that phrase of "we will just have to agree to disagree" or any other iteration of it. Nothing piques their interest and they don't care. They are quite content in their echo chamber and they have purchased their ticket by tithing.

The non-Christians don't understand and don't want to feel bad about wrong things they have done in their lives and don't want to know what happens to a person when they die and they will cross that bridge when they come to it. Seeds are sown I guess.  Understandably the Bible means nothing to them and I know where they are coming from because before I became a Christian I had no idea at all about what was written in the Bible. The churchianity movement does a great dis-service to the message of the gospel.

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Elissa
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2022, 08:15:45 AM »
Thanks for your response Brian. Sorry about the late response, it's taken me some time to write this, and also I'm sorry because it's extremely long.

Thank you Ellie. It's nice to meet someone from a neighboring state.:) As for me being experienced, I have to laugh, because that reminds me I'm experienced in making lots of mistakes. I also grew up with older siblings, so I have always felt young. I'm slowly realizing that when I meet with people, I'm often the older or oldest.  It's good for my humility!  My son and daughter are in their 20's. I don't know if they have been on this site yet, but I plan to mention it to them. I think I've shared at least one of Chris' article links recently. 

Don't worry about typically being the oldest, there are at least a couple here that are older than you. As for me, I am the youngest in the church here :D I guess a similar age to your children which is neat, I'm 22.

I have spent some time looking into the Geneva vs King James issue and this has actually been quite an interesting study and I appreciate the suggestion to do so because it’s challenged me and it’s been quite beneficial. You made a good point about calling the Geneva corrupt without knowing much about it. I should have been more careful how I said that, because in my mind I was thinking specifically about the undoubtably corrupt new age versions that I am more familiar with than Geneva but I didn’t think to specify that. Anyway, in my search I wanted to keep my mind open to being changed because I know I have been wrong before and I even used to read new age versions so I know I have been deceived on bible versions in the past. Though I have to admit that I found something that has actually led me to confirm my trust in the King James translation and has made me wary to use the Geneva at best.

I don’t think that the name of the translation is enough evidence that the King James Version is suspect or less trustworthy, or otherwise inferior to the Geneva. Based on the information I found, I agree that if all of that is true about him, then King James was a wicked man and he did many evil things. However, Chris made some points on a call yesterday and he found different information about King James that is contrary to the mainstream “history,” about him being incredibly wicked and murderous and I am unsure what is true. We’ve seen ourselves today how people can twist history and make up lies in order to suit their own agendas, so I can’t say that I fully believe either side at the moment. But either way I do think it would be nice if it were named something else, but the name simply distinguishes it from other translations as the one that King James was involved with. And if he was as terrible as many claim, I do believe God can use wicked men/kings if He so chooses in order to fulfill His will on specific things (in this case I'm referring to the translation of the KJV).

And I’d add that if someone is going to dismiss reading the Word of God entirely and reject Him simply because the specific translation in their language is “named after a politician,” then the problem there would be their own pride and unwillingness to hear a matter before they make up their minds about it. At that point, it seems to me like just an excuse to continue ignoring God’s word, and I wouldn't blame the KJV for that. That's just the pride of heart, and God will reject that anyway.

He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him. - Proverbs 18:13

But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. -  James 4:6

What matters more to me when I am determining which translation I am going to trust is about the content rather than what person or what place it is named after. And I obviously haven’t read the entire Geneva or even the entire KJV yet. But I have found something that, to me, makes the Geneva at least somewhat suspect and leads me to continue to prefer the KJV. I was looking into some arguments in support of the Geneva version over the KJV, and in doing so I came across some verse comparisons between the 2 translations. Here’s the first comparison listed by one guy in defense of the Geneva, Matthew 4:17:

From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. (King James)

From that time Iesus began to preach, and to say, Amende your liues: for the kingdome of heauen is at hand. (Geneva)

Somewhat ironically, the guy who wrote this said that this was his favorite comparison between them in support of the Geneva, but this verse immediately put me on guard against the Geneva more than anything else that I had read about it up until that point. Because repentance is required for salvation, so the fact that it was phrased differently here caused me to want to look into some other verses about it and compare the two. Here is the one that I have found so far that most clearly demonstrates the issue I have with it, Luke 13:3:

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. (King James)

I tell you, nay: but except ye amend your liues, ye shall all likewise perish. (Geneva)

I’ll explain my reasoning for why this verse discrepancy alone has me inclined to not trust the Geneva, and to continue using the KJV. So this verse contains a very simple, clear, and direct message, and it is a very important one because it has to do with salvation vs death and hell. Jesus says unless you ______, then you are going to perish. Between these two versions, one of them is saying that you must amend your life otherwise you are going to perish, and the other one is saying that you must repent or you will perish. That isn’t merely a different phrasing of the same concept, these are two completely different things based on the definitions. Repentance is having sorrow over one’s wrongdoing or sin, and amending your life is changing or correcting your actions. We know what the words mean but I’ll include the definitions (from Websters 1828) anyway because I think they’re interesting to compare:

REPENT'ANCE, noun
1. Sorrow for any thing done or said; the pain or grief which a person experiences in consequence of the injury or inconvenience produced by his own conduct.
3. Real penitence; sorrow or deep contrition for sin, as an offense and dishonor to God, a violation of his holy law, and the basest ingratitude towards a Being of infinite benevolence. This is called evangelical repentance and is accompanied and followed by amendment of life.

AMEND'MENT, noun
1. An alteration or change for the better; correction of a fault or faults; reformation of life, by quitting vices.

I found these interesting because with repentance it states that it is sorrow and contrition for sin “…accompanied and followed by amendment of life.” With true repentance (godly sorrow), God gives the desire to amend one’s life by the Holy Spirit, but sorrow of sin is not the same thing as amendment of one’s life. And also, if someone on their death bed comes to sorrow of sin and faith in Christ, but has no chance to begin to amend their life, then Christ will still save him. Someone can amend their life, or change it for the better, and be completely devoid of any godly sorrow or faith at all.

I do want to note though, that another point was made by Chris on this yesterday was that it’s possible that someone can argue that the meaning of “amend” here could be referring to something else besides doing works. I can’t quite remember the way he explained it, but it could mean an amendment in the sense of Christ’s amendment of someone’s soul or something along those lines, something that is more spiritual and not the works you do. And maybe that is possible, but I personally question it because it is a command to a person to amend their life, I don’t quite see how that doesn’t involve works at least to some degree (though I am open to the possibility). And I’ve seen how important the doctrine of repentance is especially now when people are even changing the meaning of it to claim it is “turning from sin” or “changing one’s mind.” And even if it’s a small possibility that this could be used to support a false gospel of works doctrine, I am personally wary of it and would not recommend it to someone or quote scripture with it. I'd rather go with the KJV.

All that to say, nobody is going to tell you that you must use only the KJV and not Geneva in order to be part of this church. That's your own personal choice, and that's okay if you like the Geneva more. The KJV is just what we use and prefer and I'd agree that being on the same page is a good thing as a group. This was just my own reasoning based on the most significant thing I've seen so far that can have an impact on doctrine. But several of us in the church do appreciate how you have chosen to quote the KJV to us out of consideration for us since that's what we use, that's a charitable thing to do despite your preferences.

By the way, since I notice you're a moderator, I wonder if you can please show me how to mark someone's post as encouraging. I saw some mention of it, but now I can't find it.

Hope I answered your questions. I look forward to learning more about people in this group.  So are you originally from Alabama? How long have you been in the group?  What is your favorite part of the group calls?

I believe you're referring to edification points. Once you reach a certain amount of posts (and I am actually unsure of how many it is, Chris may know), next to each person's posts on the left, you should get the option to "Edify" or "Rebuke" which will give them an Edification point or take one away.

To answer your questions about me, I'm actually from California originally. I lived there all my life (aside from a couple college semesters in Oregon) up until January 2021 when I moved to Alabama and got married. I met my husband Tim after joining the forum and we ended up speaking personally after I joined the church and got on the calls. Not long after that we hung out in person at a church meetup at Chris and Lorraine's house, and about a month later I moved to Tim's state and we got married.

I have been on the forum since September 2020 and I joined the church shortly after that--so I've been here almost 2 years. And I will have been saved for three years this December. If you want to read my testimony/introduction post it's here. Though it is another long one just to warn you. :D

I'd say that my favorite part of the group calls is simply that it's composed of other believers who are likeminded in the way that scripture talks about. The calls are the main way that God has provided for our group to be able to function as a body of believers despite the physical distance between all of us. This is the only place I personally have found (along with most of the others here) with other Christians who believe and preach sound doctrine. And it's pretty interesting because we have a handful of different countries and backgrounds that are represented here, so the internet and the calls gives us the opportunity to meet with other Christians regularly who we likely would have never met otherwise (during this lifetime at least). I am generally more quiet and I don't speak up as much as many of the others do (aside from the ladies group), but even so, I truly appreciate and enjoy the company of other believers and learning from them.

If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. - Philippians 2:1-2
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 08:31:13 AM by Ellie »
"Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better." (Ecclesiastes 7:3)

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
    • Isaiah 42:12 Blog
  • First Name: Rowan
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 10:30:26 AM »
Just briefly on edification and rebuke points, I seem to recall that I was able to give these when my post count reached 50.
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17)

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2022, 02:48:40 PM »
Thank you Kevin, Ellie, and Rowan. Ellie, my wife and I read your post together and both smiled hearing the exciting and interesting news about your marriage. :)  Thank you for researching my idea, and now I've got some homework to study the word amend.:) I agree that salvation verses are critical. One thing my wife and I strongly agree on is the importance of godly sorrow in repentence, and that is one of the main things that draws us to this group. I love being reminded of the various verses like Psalm 34:18 and 2 Cor 7:10 and how our Father stresses that throughout the Scriptures. We hope to be a part of one of your group calls soon, so thank you for giving us a preview.  I am short on time at this moment, but I at least wanted to say thank you, because we know you invested a lot of time and good detail in responding, and we really appreciate it.

I agree with all your points, and again it's good to see everyone on the same page regarding the version and the critical beliefs.  We look forward to hopefully meeting you and others who are part of this group. Godspeed.