Author Topic: New member- greetings!  (Read 1936 times)

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 8
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Travis
  • Belief: Christian
New member- greetings!
« on: October 06, 2023, 02:11:37 AM »
Hello all. My name is Travis. I am an American living in Japan since 2008. I came across Creation Liberty a few years ago by chance. I think it was through the Freemasonry arcticle. At the time I was experiencing a stressful work environment, marital problems, and an all-around materialistic worldview. I was definitely not a believing Christian at this time, and I can now attribute much of my condition to a lack of God in my life. Moreover, these spiritual and personal problems were exacerbated by political and social problems that were also occuring, many of which I was unable to resolve. Social tensions eventually eased, but not due to my efforts. My marriage ended, and I can now see that it was because neither I or my wife were in Christ.
I have emailed with Christopher a few times now and he has helped me out quite a bit. Also I have been reading articles on the website and reading this forum for some time. Sadly, I do not have a testimony of repentance and salvation to share with you all. The pride and hardness of my heart is still overpowering. The very thought of facing all my sins is terrifying, so this is top-priority for me, and I hope to be able to share my testimony with you sometime soon.
I have joined this forum hoping to come to a proper fear and love of God, repentance, an understanding of the Gospel, and of course for fellowship. There are likely things I`m believing that conflict with Scriptural truth, so I`m grateful for the chance to fellowship.

I don`t exactly know where to start. I can`t claim to be well-versed in Scripture, so I couldn`t think of an appropriate handle for a forum name to reflect my Biblical understanding. Instead I chose the name Woodpot, because it sort of describes where I am at this point, or at least, where I see myself as being. Since as early as I can remember I`ve enjoyed getting my hands dirty- in the sandbox, dirt piles, mud; later on in working with clay and wood, which is part of what led me to a life in Japan. I`ve always enjoyed the challenges of working with my hands- it`s nice working with simple materials. I`m a solitary type, and from a young age I`ve tried to maintain a distance between my personal beliefs and the beliefs that the world imposes on us, trying not to be corrupted. In that sense living in Japan has been good for me, as people tend not to be confrontational. On the other hand, the Japanese by and large are devoid of spiritual belief or conviction. As you all are no doubt aware, it`s almost impossible not to be influenced by the beliefs of those around you. This spiritual void surrounding me has taken it`s toll over the years, and I have recently come to realize that my current situation is rooted in a lack of a Scriptural foundation, and understanding of the Law.

So with that brief introduction, thank you. I hope we have much to share!

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
Re: New member- greetings!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 04:28:18 AM »
Hi Travis

It is good that you found the CLE website and have already been in touch with Chris.  As Chris has no doubt pointed out, repentance is as a gift from God.  Once you are deeply sorry and grieved for even the smallest of sins then the rest of them become just as repulsive to us even though there be too many to try to remember. The battle that goes on between our flesh self and our spiritual self goes on until the day we die and so we can never get good enough to be saved and we will be saved so long as we don't continue in sins that God will not overlook. 

You are likely not much different than the rest of us when we came to Christ and went through a deep time of soul searching and comparing with scripture where we were at. I knew next to nothing about the gospel or the Bible when I became a Christian at 26 yrs old. Reading the Bible for the first time was quite an adventure and wasn't at all what I thought the Bible would be like. Someone told me that I should read the Bible, and so I started, as one does, at the beginning of a book (Genesis), and I found it really tough going. When I told another guy he laughed and suggested I start at either John or Matthew in the New Testament.  It was very much easier after that.  :D

I hope all goes well for you and you even become an established member of the group here.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 05:27:43 AM »
welcome Travis
glad you are here. what is it you do for work? i was too born in America and move next door to you Philippines. are now beginning to study the bible and if so what bible version you have? 

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 71
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 09:14:08 PM »
Hi Travis,

Given some of the other "testimonies" that have come through on this section, I definitely commend you for your honesty. (Seriously, some salvation testimonies that have come up on this forum sound like manifestos for aspiring cult leaders, including one guy who kept referring to himself as I AM, hopefully you'll find out why that would make any Christian shiver,) I'm not sure what you've discussed with Chris but I'd like to say a few things that might help you out.

Definitely admitting you've done anything wrong is hard, and the thought of surrendering your life to a being who is powerful way beyond even our wildest imagination is very daunting, but the truth is that we can never save ourselves, we can't even make the first step on that journey, because you can't polish silver with a cloth that's been left in a septic tank. I said it to a few people I used to attend a church building with and it was like they'd never heard the idea before that salvation being a free gift is a little bit of a misnomer, it isn't something that you can work for or pay off or push towards, but it does require giving up something, the very thing that caused Lucifer to be cast out of heaven and become what we know today as Satan...we have to give up our pride.

Everyone has a different path in life, and every born again believer on this forum doesn't have the same testimony, although there are some common elements to some stories, but there are a few on here who will tell you that but for the grace of God, we would be dead today, we would have died in our sins and been cast into hell forever. And when we became born again in Christ, there are times when we still sin, in various ways, but God is nothing like the false gods of the innumerable cults out there, that casts you out until you've done enough good works to work your way back into the fold...there are times where God will reprimand you, or punish you, or allow the mistakes of your choices to run their course in the fleshly world, but he will NEVER abandon you or give you more hardship than you can handle, and there are times where you think you're the most rotten unworthy person because of things you've done, and he will still look after you, he will still protect you. There's a good reason believers refer to him as The Father, because he is everything a loving caring father should be and so much more. When I feel like garbage, look at the world and ask how could God love us when we're so evil at heart?...my mum used to tell me that if I or anyone else was the only person in the world who could be saved in the last 2000 years, Christ would have still died for us, as much as his sacrifice on the cross was for you and for me, it was for the entire world.

Coming to terms with the severity of sin is hard, because it goes way deeper than the physical consequences, but doing that is so much easier than the alternative. A lot of anti-theists and regular hedonists love to call that "fear-mongering", but what's worst? Not wanting to hurt someone's feelings and knowing someone will burn forever, for all eternity to pay for their sin or saying something they may not like here so that they can have a chance to make the most important decision of their lives?

We're not guaranteed life tomorrow, and I say that if you do come to repentance, and you're still worried about giving your life to Christ, then remember it's like any major life life changing decision...it may not feel like a good time, but there's never going to be a better time.

I hope it's helped in some way,  :)
Romans: {11:3} Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. {11:4} But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 12:25:55 AM »
Thank you guys for the kind replies. I very much look forward to fellowship here. I hadn`t visited the forum in over a week for a couple of reasons. One, I haven`t yet come to repentance, and the other reason is that I was worried you guys wouldn`t bother with me until that had happened. I`m glad I checked back in, even though the goal has yet to be met. Thank you for the effort you put into your replies. Your words have helped!

Starting at Genesis, like Kevin (Hello Kevin) related is indeed extremely daunting. There is so much data that goes by so quickly, that it`s very difficult to process. My only Christian friend here in Hiroshima gave similar advice to what you said: start at the Gospel and go from there back to the beginning. Don`t even try analyzing it the first time, he said. This advice has worked for me in part, but when I got to Revelation I ran into problems. That book alone is so dense with meaning as to be almost indecipherable. A straight read-through from beginning to end is too quick to be able to process all of the information.

To answer Billy`s question (Hello Billy), I work as an English teacher for kids and adults, and have been since 2008. In my spare time I do some woodwork and pottery, enjoy hiking and cycling and motorbiking. If you`d asked me a few years ago, I would have said that pottery is closest to my heart amongst all my activities. But since then, I`ve begun a type of homesteading project in the countryside which consumes all my time on the weekends. Growing healthy food, making good products with simple materials, living a simple life became my goal since around 2017. Although the world might admire such a path, If I had kept on as I was going, it would have led to an empty existence and damnation, as it was still carnally-focused. Only recently can I see a real purpose begin to form for this homesteading project, and it`s my sincere hope to be able to dedicate it to God and to be able to bring people together in fellowship and learning. I am not advocating works-based salvation, and I understand that I must come to repentance and salvation first, before my work can have any meaning. I am of the understanding (correct me if I`m wrong) that there is no place called `church`, and that believers in Christ, in our bodies which are the Temple, constitute the church entire. That said, having a place as free as possible from worldly corruptions and distractions, in which the church can gather for meaningful discussion is my main purpose regarding the homestead from here on out.

As to the more important of Billy`s questions: I primarily use the KJV, and it`s the only Bible for which I have a physical copy. From a reader`s perspective the KJV is beautifully written and easily understood. I have read the article by Chris in which he goes into deep discussion on the subject. Meaning absolutely no disrespect or disregard to his work on the subject, it is still our responsibility to prove all things true, and not rely unduly on others. With that in mind I do reference other Bibles from time to time as I study, such as Fenton, Tyndale, and the 1611 KJV, but I don`t even bother with the new-age Bibles, as I am already convinced of their corruption. I have some questions about the KJV based on things I`ve come across. This line of thought connects nicely with that I AM guy that S.A. Chris (Hello Chris) mentioned. I`ve read a fair few of the introductory posts here on the forum, and I read the posts by the guy who referred to himself as I AM, and yes, it did make me cringe. I`m not sure what he was thinking with such an audacious usage. Regarding I AM, I`d like to discuss that issue a bit, because it`s one that I can`t wrap my head around.

Exodus 3:13-15 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel and shall say unto them, the God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. And God said moreover unto Moses, thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, The God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: This is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

“I Am” is not like any name that I have heard; instead it sounds more like a declaration. So, for God to declare that “I Am” is “my name forever”, is something I haven`t been able to understand. I checked a Hebrew/English text comparison at Biblehub.com (https://biblehub.com/text/exodus/3-15.htm) to see which words were used in Hebrew, and it shows Yahweh as His name, Elohim (God) as His title, and also includes the term I AM. If biblehub is to be trusted (is it??), it looks like the name of God has been omitted. Why? Moreover, just after this, in Exodus 6:3, God says that his name is Jehovah, which is neither I AM THAT I AM, nor is it Yahweh. Can anyone clarify this issue?

Exodus 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 12:40:05 AM by Woodpot »

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 08:26:26 AM »
I personally do not recommend reading the Gospels and going back to Genesis. I recommend reading one of the Gospels to start, then going to Acts and then Romans and so on. Once you go through the NT, I would recommend reading another of the Gospels, then going back to Genesis. The order of the books of the New Testament are not in any chronological order, but rather, they are in order of importance of doctrine, starting out with the foundation of basics in Romans, and working through more in-depth doctrine as it goes.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 04:16:23 PM »
I just looked back and realised that I neglected to put that in.  There's no way a new Christian should go to Genesis etc without having first read the New Testament through a number of times. Big mistake on my part to have not got that right.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 02:01:07 AM »
A few tips when going through the bible. For starters, it depends on how used to the vernacular you are, anyone familiar with the works of William Shakespeare has a bit of an advantage, but there are plenty of audio book readings of it, and sometimes it can help to hear someone else read it out loud so you get more familiar with it. They're available on youtube although who knows how long that's going to last before the bible is eventually banned as "hate speech"  ::)

When it comes to understanding the bible in it's entirety though, that is a monumental task. the gospel of salvation in the new testament is straight forward, but when it comes to understanding the rest of the bible, in the book of Isaiah there is an interesting passage

"28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? [them that are] weaned from the milk, [and] drawn from the breasts.
28:10 For precept [must be] upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, [and] there a little:"

You'll pick it up piece by piece because there is a lot of doctrine, there's a lot of historical records, and there's a lot of hinted prophecy and overt prophecy scattered throughout, and when it comes to the book of Revelation...that's probably something we won't understand to it's fullest until after it's all come to pass.

Fun fact, even though the 12 apostles knew Jewish law, and were taught the prophecies, none of them were outside the tomb to greet Christ when he rose again from the dead, even later when Christ visited them after his resurrection, it was Christ who had to open their eyes and understanding to recognize him. All understanding comes from God so if you're stuck on something, pray and ask for knowledge and understanding. This is another reason why, despite what the mega-"churches" love to promote, a conversion to Christ isn't just a quick prayer, it's a life long and eternal thing.

Sometimes a breakthrough will take time, sometimes it'll take a long time...don't give up :)
Romans: {11:3} Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. {11:4} But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 03:13:01 AM »
Chris, Chris and Kevin. Thank you again for the helpful replies. I am taking your advice to read a single Gospel, then through to the end of the NT, then to another Gospel, then back to the beginning. Christopher previously helped me out on the issue of spiritual marriage (Luke 20:27-40), which was a new concept to me. I realize that I made a mistake earlier in this thread where I said that the KJV is easily understood. In actuality I come across passages that confuse me. I'm sorry for the dishonesty.

I have no idea what I'm doing sometimes. Trying to sort through everything, without being at odds with everything, at the same time dealing with my own haughtiness....I went to a church with a friend yesterday. The preacher saw that I had my KJV, which he complemented me on bringing. His teaching was on being in unity in the Body of Christ, and he quoted from 1 Corinthians 1:10 and 12:25 among others. For my sole benefit, he included English scriptures in his teaching. Sadly, he used the ESV for these scriptures. Since it was my first time at that church, we later had a 1 on 1, wherein I stated my desire for God to grant me repentance through faith, and the preacher was glad and iterated the importance of 'turning from sin.' I am of the mind to do nothing for the time being, as I am not properly of conrite spirits to be in a position of advising him.

And amazingly, today my eyes were opened to something through the sound advice of my friend, when she said: "You're trying to bring about the act of repentance. Don't you have faith in God? Trust in Him, pray, and he will grant you repentance. It's not a thing you can do through hard work and studying." Which is exactly what I had introduced to her through Christopher's teaching on repentance. I can be amazingly blind. Astoundingly.

Thank you for reading this.

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 12:59:10 PM »
We've all been blind on many things in our lives. Give God the glory and thanks for giving wisdom. :)

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 06:20:58 PM »
My testimony
Last Sunday night I came to godly repentance over the offenses I have committed, and vowed to live according to God’s will. I’m posting this in the hope that it may be of help to somebody in a similar situation. I am speaking specifically to people like past members of this forum McKenna, and Dan, and any others who yearn to find Christ, but encounter difficulty. May God bless you, and guide you to the truth. Coming to repentance can be daunting. It is unique to each individual, and while it’s useful to be able to read the testimony of others, it may not make sense to you until it actually happens. For me at least, the truly wonderful things about repentance are twofold. One: it breaks one from the ruinous materialistic cycle of idol worship through the grace of bowing down to the higher Authority, with whom no man can contend. Second: It becomes clear that repentance is only one step of many on the path toward working for the Kingdom of God.

2 Timothy 3:7- Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

This passage is very applicable to my life story. I’ve had to deal with walls built mainly of pride, arrogance, lust, and deceit. While I knew intellectually that repentance is a gift of God through faith, I kept trying to make it happen through my own efforts, while repentance is not at all intellectual. In recent months I had been learning as much as I could regarding scripture, Jesus Christ, and the world at large. Although I studied and discussed and studied even more, all I ended up understanding was that I didn’t understand. The world was too big, too complicated, too dirty. God’s Law was too strict, too punishing, too unreachable. I realized: You can’t do it on your own! You really can’t. No matter your inborn abilities, your luck-of-the-draw, your circle of friends, your school or church teachers, your riches. You can’t do it. You will fail. Your abilities aren’t good enough, your friends aren’t honest enough, your luck will fail, your teachers will err, your riches will lead you to idolatry, you will sin.

Galatians 5:19-21- Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Truly, as is written in Galatians, the works of the flesh are strife, and I have been immersed in strife for as long as I can remember. I was 3 years old when my brother was born, and from that day on I strove with him for parental affection. I resented him as I perceived he was happier, kindlier, more honest and more deserving of praise. Originally, according to my mother, I was a gentle, quiet and meek child. That meekness remained with me, at least when my brother wasn’t around, until puberty hit. I was teased in school for being too meek and too quiet, but gained muscle mass during puberty, after which these same kids who teased me suddenly wanted to befriend me. I rebuffed their advances, and I thank God that I was able to reject their worldliness.

My father was police, and he instilled in me a firm ambivalence toward authority, always exhorting my brother and I to question our school teachers, the police, the government: any and everybody before believing anything. Partially as a result of this teaching, I was in a state of constant rebellion against my teachers. This led in turn to feelings of pride and superiority over them. Though my innate nature and parental guidance kept me somewhat in check, I became increasingly contentious, toward my family, friends, and outsiders alike. As a child, I used to feel ashamed of my bad behavior. As a teenager I was more disappointed with myself than ashamed. As an adult, I mostly left shame by the roadside. As a result of my upbringing, it has been incredibly hard for me to admit weakness or show emotion in front of others. I am guessing that some who read this may have similar experiences.

Attending college in California, I was only ever interested in ceramics, sculpture, and photography classes. Indeed, the act of creating something with my hands has always been hugely attractive, and I took to it from around the age of 3 or 4. Yet, while I’ve always loved creating material things, I’ve also always been ambivalent of my fellow craftsmen. They usually place such a premium of importance on their material creations, whilst I paradoxically felt that these works had no intrinsic value. I generally eschewed the more artistic and cerebral works, focusing on utilitarian products. For example, we need chairs in which to sit. These chairs need to be comfortable. Good chair design therefore is how to make a useful, comfortable piece that is durable. Personal hubris doesn’t enter into the design equation. Another example: We need to eat. The challenge is to make a bowl which holds food and fits well in the hand. We shouldn’t worry that it may break someday. It’s very practical: personal hubris doesn’t enter into the design.

Galatians 5:22,23- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

The fruit of the Spirit is not material, it is spiritual. Last Sunday, I finally came to terms with this lifelong nagging question through the epiphany: I myself am naught but a thing, made by the hand of God, for the purpose of doing God’s work. Whatsoever perceived skill, ability, or luck which I possess, is not of my making, but is a gift to me from God, for which I give thanks. Whatsoever is made through my hands, let it be made for the advancement of the kingdom. What happened Sunday night is this:

My friend was sitting across from me in the dark in my newly-acquired home in the countryside. The means by which I acquired this home is peculiar. One night a few weeks ago, she had prayed to God, as she had been praying for some time, to guide me, bless me, and this time, to help me find a place to live. I had no knowledge that she had been praying this way; I only learned about it later on. Anyhow, the next day I announced my desire to go and search for a house. She agreed to meet up, and we drove out to an area I’d been looking at and by chance there was an elderly man standing on the street side. We stopped and asked him about the owner of an empty house I’d spotted nearby, and he knew the owner and agreed to introduce us to him. Upon meeting this house owner, I shortly asked him “May I have this house?” to which he readily replied “If you will use it, then sure.” “For how much?” I asked. And he answered “Just take it.”

Going back to Sunday night: This was the second night in a row that she visited for conversation, and neither time had I expected her to pay a visit. Both times she prayed for me, and through the strength of her faith and prayer, and by the grace of God, I realized the depth of my sins; the sacrifice and glory of Christ, the hopelessness of my position. For the first time in 22 years the wall of pride came down, and I bawled my heart out in front of another human being, and for the first time in my life I came to godly repentance, and vowed to be used as God wills me.
My suggestion to any who are trying to reach out to Christ is this: Stop trying. Surrender everything you have, everything you are, and submit. Knowledge of the Law has brought you to Christ, and faith will take you the rest of the way. If you have anything of monetary value, consider selling. If you have an unfulfilling job, consider quitting. Pray for God to remove your pride. Make a clean cut with the mistakes of your past. Do you have a warm bed and plenty of food? It may be that your comfort is getting in the way. After all, contrition doesn’t come naturally to the rich man. Remove the stumbling blocks in the way of becoming childlike at heart. Put your life and your faith wholly in His hands, and beg Him for guidance. The sins of your past will be forgiven.

Matthew 19:23- Then Jesus said unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Romans 14:13- Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way.
Matthew 18:3 Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Hebrews 9:14- How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Psalms 34:18- The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

That’s my testimony, for what it’s worth.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 10:29:58 AM »
And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves; For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him? And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee. I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.
-Luke 11:5-8

importunity (n): pressing solicitation; urgent request; application for a claim or favor, which is urged with troublesome frequency or pertinacity; men are sometimes overcome by the importunity of their wives or children

As I have said many times before, the parables of Christ are speaking not just of false converts, but the DIFFERENCE between false and true converts. Some of the parable teach us the manner in which true converts will act and speak. This is why, after this parable, Christ went on to say:

And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
-Luke 11:9-13
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2023, 07:28:51 AM »
After reading this response, I was in confusion. Am I a false convert? Was my repentance not true? I am praying for guidance, and, as I haven’t finished them yet, I am continuing to read through the scriptures. If I am missing something, then please help me. Thank you for you time.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2023, 08:52:43 AM »
No, I am pointing out what you did and testified about in your post is exactly what the Scriptures are saying, or rather, what Jesus said in the parable.

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2023, 04:39:50 AM »
Oh. I misunderstood what you had posted.

After coming to godly repentance, just the thought of Christ's sacrifice brings tears to my eyes. Additionally, even recalling that night, I am likely to tear up. I have been in a very emotional state since then, which is why, after I saw the previous post, Jeremiah immediately coming to mind: 

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceiful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

In one of our first email conversations, I asked Chris what godly repentance feels like. He replied with the above quote from Jeremiah, and also with Proverbs:

Proverbs 28:26 He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool.

And the truth of the matter is, I have been feeling quite different since repentance. And now I fear that, in my moment of doubting myself, I have also doubted the Holy Spririt, and perhaps damaged my relationship with God. So that, I will pray for forgiveness, guidance, and discernment.

Thank you all. I am very fortunate to have been led here.

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Elissa
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2023, 10:29:18 AM »
Hi Travis,

I am glad to see your post about your testimony. As you've seen on the forum, usually when people eventually admit (or are exposed) to never having some to repentance, they start doing strange, sometimes contentious things and so hearing what has happened to you is very refreshing. I think what might happen with those other people, is that they don't want to believe that they are incapable of having any of their righteousness come from themselves, but they can still see that they are not having the "experience" of repentance, so they get very uncomfortable and might start lashing out or just doing and saying very strange things, or try to force out tears of repentance and then claim they have it. But from what I saw from you, you weren't trying to force the fellowship and you took time for yourself to search things out. Whereas a lot of people think that coming here and talking with us is what will cause them to gain something with regards to salvation, but that isn't the case. We can't do anything aside from speaking to people, ultimately it's between the individual and God.

I wasn't sure what was going to come of the situation when you came on and made your initial post, but I am happy to see that it didn't turn out the way that it typically does on the forum. Chris has recently explained/mentioned the verses that he quoted to you mentioning importunity, and so now us as a church got to see an example of what Jesus Christ said in the scriptures, where you realized you were not saved, but you asked and for your importunity, God heard you and you received salvation. A lot of us have had experiences where we didn't even know what repentance was when we were saved, and personally I didn't even understand what happened to me on the day I got saved until months later. So it is great to hear your experience of what God has done for you.

And the truth of the matter is, I have been feeling quite different since repentance. And now I fear that, in my moment of doubting myself, I have also doubted the Holy Spririt, and perhaps damaged my relationship with God. So that, I will pray for forgiveness, guidance, and discernment.

I understand what you're saying here, but I just want to point out that now that you've come to repentance, you have that childlike humility which made you willing to question yourself, and that aspect is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't know that God would be angry with you on a moment of questioning yourself, however I wouldn't dissuade you from praying for those things you mentioned anyway.

And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
-Matthew 18:3-4

Thanks for sharing your testimony. It was impactful to hear, and I thank God for what He has done for you. I hope that you can find fellowship here and pray that God will continue to bless you.

Matthew 5:1-8:
And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:
And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God
"Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better." (Ecclesiastes 7:3)

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Caleb
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2023, 09:41:47 AM »
Hello Travis,

My name is Caleb and I have to admit that I am a bit hesitant to introduce myself to new people on the forum. I need to get over but I have been after having some bad instances with those that joined and did not want fellowship or understanding. I am going to put this bluntly: I was not a Christian when I first joined this forum as well. However, unlike you who understood that fact, I believed I was one falsely, it wasn't until a few years after I joined that I understood that and understood what repentance really is. When I first joined I had no discernment, no wisdom, and no understanding. I hate myself for all the things that I said and did because they were an offense to the Lord as well as others. I am overjoyed by just how forgiving and merciful the Lord is to me and others even with my sin. Although, that doesn't mean that sin is justified as I absolutely hate that I do it and can only beg for forgiveness in the end. I believe you share that sentiment now as well.

Also, now that you have repented just remember just because you don't understand something right away does not mean you are a false convert. I admit I was left scratching my head at verses (Luke 11:5-13) posted by Chris for at least a day or two. When it was explained I felt like I was the biggest idiot, although, we all are idiots in the end as our understanding can only come from the Holy Spirit. Never be afraid to ask the Lord for understanding because he will grant it.
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. James 1:5

« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 09:47:55 AM by Zoologistkid »
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26 Who can say that man is an animal?

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2023, 07:50:00 PM »
Hello Ellie,

It’s true, and rightly said by Chris that I came to God in importunity (which I did not understand at first). As for those other people, who have trouble in repenting, I cannot say for sure. My discernment is low. Perhaps you are right in the supposition that they want to accept all responsibility for their righteousness. I don’t know. What I saw from them was an honest desire to be close to God, but an unwillingness to relinquish worldly ties. Now, I don’t say that in righteousness. I am entering onto the long path of sanctification, and the amount of sin and worldly ties in my life is still too much. Meaning, that I believe I still love the world more than I revere God, and I realize that this is a huge problem. It’s very troubling to me. I tend to try and make reality fit with what I want, instead of the other way around. For now, Ellie, we are already having fellowship, and thank you for taking the trouble to post your reply. I appreciate it.

Hello Caleb,

I have read your testimony and some of your history. I too hate myself on a daily basis, for all of the terrible things I have done and said, and still do. I wouldn’t say that it’s great to be awful, but probably everyone here understands where you are coming from. I recall that you were interested in reaching out to people through the medium of fictional stories. I can’t say that it’s a good or a bad idea, but it is a young man’s idea. Although you are older than me in Christ, I am older than you in years (I’m 42 this year). So in regards to your story ideas, I wouldn’t beat myself up over them (if that’s what you were referencing). I liken it to when I stole my brother’s trading card and then lied about it when we were little. I hate the fact that I did it- after all, I still remember committing that crime. I regret it to this day for the harm that I did to a child of God, who happened to be my brother. I also think about the repurcussions my actions have had on his soul. At the same time, however, I was a kid making a kid’s mistake. Hopefully we grow out of such things. At least, with faith and vigilance we may hope to err less. Thank you for your words, Caleb. I no longer doubt that I am converted to Christ.

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Caleb
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2023, 09:04:40 PM »
Actually, Travis, I wasn't referring to the story ideas, I was referring to all my actions before and after that. I focused heavily on political and worldly things. I didn't post any scripture because I hadn't read the Bible at all nor did I understand it. I would often make vain comments that often never contributed to conversations. I said and did awful things both on and outside of this forum. I would often skip portions of conversations because I did not understand them. For example, in the wild emails, I would only read what Chris had written and did not read what was written by the other person. I am thankful that both the Lord Jesus Christ and everyone here is so longsuffering with me because it is deplorable how I acted to others. I am also thankful to the Lord for giving me any discernment because I am not worthy of any of it. As for sanctification, I am still trying to get away from worldly things but I often keep coming back to them and I absolutely hate that I keep doing that. I am telling you this Travis because I wanted to let you know you're not alone.
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26 Who can say that man is an animal?

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2023, 05:19:14 AM »
Thanks, Caleb. Part of the reason I joined this forum was for fellowship, and you guys are offering that to me.