Author Topic: Moonan's "Should Christians Vote" Teaching  (Read 3519 times)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 449
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Moonan's "Should Christians Vote" Teaching
« on: January 26, 2019, 04:07:00 PM »
Did anyone hear Brian Moonan's new teaching on "Should Christians Vote?"
http://www.truthdealer-radio.com/shows/

Apparently, based on what I've heard so far, he's taking a drastically different stance than I do on the subject:
http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/vote.php

He's stating that people should vote for the "lesser" of two evils. He's says that a righteous candidate is worthy of a vote, but so far (I'm only part of the way into it), he hasn't defined what makes a "righteous candidate." I did that in my teaching based on what Scripture says; perhaps he'll get to it later, but it seemed like that point got skipped.

One of the reasons I started this thread is because I noticed that Brian had made the argument that if we're given two options (which, by the way, is not true; we're actually given a multitude of options that many people don't pay any attention to), we ought to accept that as providence from God for us to choose our leader. First of all, there's a problem with this because the President of the United States is not really the "leader," and never has been. It's only been through a lot of corruption that the President has gained so much power in the U.S. because the Presidential office was never intended to have that much power outside of war times, so he could make executive decisions for the nation in a time of emergency (which actually goes into why we've been under a never-ending "state of emergency" since the Civil War--very similar to the Emperor of Rome).

But then, a few moments after he said that this two-way decision was ordained of God (which I would not argue against), Brian then goes on to argue that "Christian complacency" is what caused bad laws to be passed. Uh... wait a second, I thought he just argued that what we're given in the government is ordained of God, so why doesn't he stay consistent and argue that laws legalizing abortion is also ordained of God?

I think Brian's arguing on both sides of his mouth on this topic; perhaps I am misunderstanding his argument? If anyone else wants to listen to him and let me know, please do so.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Moonan's "Should Christians Vote" Teaching
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 04:57:42 PM »
Brian says that if Christians didn't do what's right in voting, then the world would go to hell overnight. No, it wouldn't. God has already ordained the timeline of this world before creation. Everything will go according to His plan. To say that if a handful of people didn't vote for the right person, therefore, the country would collapse, would be the same as to say that God doesn't help people who don't help themselves. I understand that God blesses those who do the work, and I teach that, but at the same time, God comes to us in our helpless state, and He also makes the rain to fall on the just and unjust:
And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.
-Acts 24:15
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
-Mat 5:45

God's blessings go out to even those who mock Him, and so to assume that if Christians don't vote for the right person, therefore, God will turn the world into hell; that's absurd, and not Scripturally sound.

Brian then goes on to say that no candidate will be perfect. I'm not saying that he's arguing against what I taught, but I've never taught that. What I taught was a list of Biblical criteria for determining if someone is sound to back with a vote. It's interesting that I don't think Brian is quite understanding the matter because even for the position of an elder in the church, which is typically considered to be a less prestigious or important position in our society, there are many qualities he must have:
If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
-Titus 1:6-9

I would guarantee that most Americans, and probably Brian himself, doesn't investigate who he votes for to that degree, and that's just for an elder, let alone the "Commander and Chief of the United States Military." I'm not saying that we'll get Christians in candidacy for office, but I listed out three criteria by which leaders among God's people were chosen by Moses's command (which was given to him by God), and those three things are:
1. He/She fears God
2. He/She loves truth
3. He/She is not covetous
That's it. Outside of Chuck Baldwin and Ron Paul, both of which got dumped on and ignored by the media, there hasn't been a Presidential candidate in my lifetime that met those requirements. (Yes, that includes Donald Trump, because the man is covetous, and he doesn't fear God, because he falsely calls himself a Christian [i.e. he lies] to the public while denying his own sin--if he just didn't call himself a Christian, I would respect him more.)

For some reason, Brian is arguing against someone who would teach that a government has to be a Bible-based government. I'm not sure where he's getting that from. For instance, I've specifically pointed out that governments are a terror unto evil works, which is what Romans 13 teaches us, and if they are not a terror unto evil works, they are operating outside of the authority of God. So, for example, if they police came to an area in which you had a public right to preach the Word of God, and they bound and gagged you, and took you into prison, did you do wrong by God? Not at all. In fact, if you disobeyed that order to stop preaching the Word of God, it would be good because the government, in that instance, is being a terror unto good works instead of evil, and that is the basis on which we can refuse a government command. If someone who resisted government authority on a matter is resisting God, as it states in Romans 13, then Daniel rebelled against God, and King David rebelled against God, and Moses rebelled against God; the list goes on.
Brian does argue directly against this, claiming that when men like myself make this argument, that we are somehow claiming that a government must be Bible-based and perfect, which is not the case. Frankly, I'm losing interest in his teaching, and I'm only about halfway through; I'm not sure I'm going to finish it because there are too many Biblical fallacies going on here.

Yeah, I'm going to stop at about 23 minutes; I've had enough. Brian needs to stop doing that. He's basically saying that if you don't vote, then you're not speaking the truth. That's absurd. It is possible to vote and say nothing, and it's possible to not vote and speak out. There's a number of things he implied, and definitions that he didn't make clear, and I'm not interested in continuing it; I just wondered what some of you thought of his doctrine.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »
I have not went threw his teaching. I find it interesting that you post this as I just finished going threw your teaching on voting.  For a while now I been skipping over it and going threw the more important ones like repentance or lies. When I read the title should Christian vote I say no and go past it. But I have went threw the hole teaching and article and agree with you on it.

Brian teaching I do not know. But it looks like he teaches what most do about voting. What I like to know is why Christian so wanting to cast there lots with men who are evil?

Why I was typing this I had a thought pop in my head where a lamb who voted was dancing threw the field holding hands with the wolf they voted for sing as they go on there marry way to the slaughter house

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 05:57:20 PM »
Yeah, and that's the point: I've never taught that Christians should not vote. I also didn't teach that they should. I said that they shouldn't cast in their vote for evil, and that everyone should use discretion no matter what country they live in. If a man is found to be a liar, covetous, and does not fear God, then he's not worthy of a vote.

I found it amazing that he used Paul as the example, but then failed to mention that Paul didn't make any effort (as far as Scripture tells us) to vote in senators in the Roman government. He wouldn't have been wrong to do so, but he simply lived in the government God provided, and did the work of Christ's church. Why is that so complicated? And why are we being told that we're "causing the world to go to hell" and "defying God" if we choose not to vote?

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 06:24:02 PM »
The world is going to hell because of sin. Instead of repenting and turn from are evil ways, the people vote in hope in men to fix the problems. This way of thinking will never work and only make things worse. We are the same age, and you probably will agree with me on this, in are lifetime we have seen the world around us spiral out of control in the pit of hell. We have seen more abomination then are grandparents have at are age. It will wax worse and worse and voting is just a way to keep the lambs of god busy hacking at branches rather then focusing on uprooting the evil tree

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »
The world is going to hell because of sin. Instead of repenting and turn from are evil ways, the people vote in hope in men to fix the problems.
Yes! I think that's what I was really thinking and perhaps couldn't put it into words. Voting does not bring the world to hell; it is sin that does it, and that's why we focus on God's Word. We live in this world, but we don't have to support evil men, even when we sometimes have to submit to their commands.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 07:28:22 PM »
It is just the same here in New Zealand.  Even to the scorn of others here I happily comment that I have not voted for nearly three decades (we have general elections every three years).

Matthew 22 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
15 Then went the Pharisees, and took counsel how they might entangle him in his talk. 16 And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men. 17 Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not? 18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites? 19 Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. 20 And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? 21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's. 22 When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way.

Jesus wasn't leading a violent and outspoken rebellion against the secular government and even supported the payment of the tribute money whilst knowing full well that in the not too distant future the secular government was going to be a part of those who were responsible for his totally unjustified execution (murder).

Mark 10 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
32 And they were in the way going up to Jerusalem; and Jesus went before them: and they were amazed; and as they followed, they were afraid. And he took again the twelve, and began to tell them what things should happen unto him, 33 saying, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be delivered unto the chief priests, and unto the scribes; and they shall condemn him to death, and shall deliver him to the Gentiles: 34 and they shall mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall kill him: and the third day he shall rise again.

Mark 15 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
1 And straightway in the morning the chief priests held a consultation with the elders and scribes and the whole council, and bound Jesus, and carried him away, and delivered him to Pilate.

I have people here telling me that I can not claim that abortion is murder because I don't vote.  Quite wrong.  Murder is murder whether I vote or not.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:35:40 PM by anvilhauler »
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Severius Brandusa

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 12:46:49 AM »
Sorry for this side note: I don't know if you have heard his new abortion teaching, but he actually mentions your name and references your work and research on abortion and insists for his listeners to check out your article on it to get the sources and facts. Of course, this doesnt make him right on his voting stance, I am just wondering if you knew he mentioned you. The LORD God is truly using you, especially in places where there is a need for rebuke. I admire your unwavering integrity, Christopher. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ for the ministry he has entrusted you with.

Severius Brandusa

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 12:53:10 AM »
Forgive me for my ignorance, but is the voting teaching and the abortion teaching the exact same one? I believe I sounded like a fool if that is the case. If so, I apologize.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 01:01:54 AM »
I don't know about Brian's; mine is not. I have two separate teachings on that.