Author Topic: Who BECOMES tax exempt?  (Read 3440 times)

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
  • Belief: Christian
Who BECOMES tax exempt?
« on: October 10, 2019, 01:14:40 PM »
Since a church is tax exempt before 501 c 3, and then they continue to be tax exempt after they get 501 c 3 corporate status, then who actually becomes tax exempt?
Isn't it the churchgoers?
Isn't it anyone who donates to this new corporation?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is actually the uncharitable church goers who get a direct tax break as a result of the tax exempt status of their church building?

Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: Who BECOMES tax exempt?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 08:24:32 PM »
No. We are not "tax exempt" right now. We simply do not owe taxes on meeting together to study the Bible. There are no taxes for that. Tax exemption is given because once a church incorporates, they are transformed into an indirect government institution, and government institutions don't have to pay taxes because they are funded by taxes.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 09:04:37 PM »
No. We are not "tax exempt" right now. We simply do not owe taxes on meeting together to study the Bible. There are no taxes for that. Tax exemption is given because once a church incorporates, they are transformed into an indirect government institution, and government institutions don't have to pay taxes because they are funded by taxes.
Okay. I see the mistake I made.
Let me restate my questions.

Since a church pays no taxes before 501 c 3, and then they continue to not pay taxes after they get 501 c 3 corporate status, then who actually gets a reduction in their tax bill?
Isn't it those who make donations to the 501 c 3 corporation?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the uncharitable church goers who end up shifting some of their tax burden to the rest of us as a result of the tax exempt status of their church building?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:08:54 PM by Kenneth Winslow »
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 10:40:44 PM »
Yes, and that was part of the point I was making in the teaching.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Primeroso

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 09:57:02 AM »
Is your teaching available anywhere, Creationliberty?

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 10:10:04 AM »

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 12:00:12 PM »
Is your teaching available anywhere, Creationliberty?
Mark, you need to read this: http://www.creationliberty.com/forum/index.php?topic=20.0 That was part of the registration agreement you signed, and you haven't made a post in the Introduce Yourself section yet.

Larrylynndavis

• BANNED
  • Newly Registered (Forum LVL 0)
  • Edification: -12
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Larry
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 12:56:59 PM »
To preface my post , please note I had a business for 30 years that prepared tax returns and coached people in how to plan finances for filing a return. I am writing this to explain why this alleged tax exemption is more of a red herring than reality. I had many clients over the years that had receipts for donations to many different organizations that were non-profits.  When I prepared a tax return there is a standard deduction. Last time I did a return it was around $10,000. About 98% of the time the deductions never exceeded the standard deduction. This covered donations, taxes, medical expenses, paid mortgage interest, ect.  From this information I stopped asking for receipts and donated cash when ever possible.

Finally, I quit the business 5 years ago, not because of the money I was earning, but for the following. Came across some works of Joseph R. Banister, former IRS special agent. His job was to collect alleged taxes due. One person he was doing this to had not filed a tax return for over 10 years. Mr. Banister was told by the person he was attempting to collect, there was nothing in the IRS code that requires him to file a return. Bannister, because of his faith in God decided to actually check it out and he found out it was true. When he confronted his boss about this, they asked him to resign.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 03:23:51 PM »
That was an interesting point, but it had nothing to do with what Kenneth was asking about.