Author Topic: Forms of chastisement  (Read 2303 times)

ndrw

Forms of chastisement
« on: July 13, 2021, 05:00:41 PM »
Hello everyone,

Sorry for the lack of activity...

But I have been wondering, does chastisement from God also happen spiritually? Or is it solely physical?

When I wept, and chastened my soul with fasting, that was to my reproach.
- Psalm 69:10

I understand that David chastened himself in this verse, but could this also apply to God chastening us spiritually as well?

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 449
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Forms of chastisement
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 06:28:23 PM »
We can provide all the necessary examples for physical punishments. However, if you're asking the question, it is your responsibility to provide us with examples of spiritual punishment for the children of God, so we know what you're referring to. I'll wait for your response.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

ndrw

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 06:33:43 PM »
I meant spiritually as in depression, no joy, no peace, and sadness in your spirit?

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 07:28:43 PM »
You're not being specific enough. It sounds like you're not asking the question you really want to ask. That's why I don't like these vague questions; it just ends up wasting everyone's time in responding, rather than just getting to the point.

Are love, joy, and peace spiritual or physical? Can they be both spiritual and physical depending on the context? If someone is sad because a loved one died, did God cause that? Could it be yes or no since God oversees all things, allowing the person to die, and then causing the indirect result of that sadness?

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: Their feet are swift to shed blood: Destruction and misery are in their ways: And the way of peace have they not known: There is no fear of God before their eyes.
-Rom 3:10-18

Is this peace spiritual? Can no man know it without God? Is peace simply a feeling that is physical?

These are questions that could go on and on and on. That's why I hate these fishing expeditions. I just want people to quit hiding whatever they really want to ask, and just tell the story and ask it the specific question.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

ndrw

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 07:48:32 PM »
Chastisement for sin. I'm not trying to justify sin, I'm legitimately asking the question.

Love, joy, and peace are spiritual in all contexts. And I understand that there are questions that turn into endless questions, my apologies if my question was one of them. There is a lot that I am re-learning and learning about the Scriptures.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 09:48:33 PM »
I didn't say you were trying to justify something, but you are not being specific enough. I'm not going to go fishing on this one because it would require writing an entire article on just this thread.

ndrw

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 09:55:52 PM »
It's ok, I will do a word study on 'chasten' and it's variants and meditate on the subject. Thanks for the replies.