Author Topic: Why Do I Have Scary Dreams?  (Read 9415 times)

Natalie

Why Do I Have Scary Dreams?
« on: December 06, 2018, 07:12:02 PM »
Hello everyone,

I feel like I have been getting bad dreams lately that would seem to indicate some kind of evil in my life. For example, when I was involved in sexual sin and playing Magic the Gathering (a card game), I had many bad dreams with wolves, spiders, vampires, etc. I did get rid of those sins, and the dreams went away. Lately though, I have been having dreams of spiders and being chased by a snake, so something is going on that is not right. I am not sure if I've gotten so sensitive to sin, that any bad thought I have will manifest in a dream, or if there is something evil present in my house? I live with my parents and can't control what's in the house. Maybe there is something in my room that is satanic and I don't know it? Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 449
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Why Do I Have Scary Dreams?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 11:44:43 PM »
For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words.
-Ecc 5:3

Dreams come about by things you do during your day, or things you think about, or discussions you have, etc.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 04:32:26 AM »
I am so glad you shared that bible verse, I need to memorize that verse. Do the bible make any mention if the devil can give people dreams.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »
No. Although I'm sure it can happen from those who are possessed, and/or those who practice hardcore levels of witchcraft.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Caleb
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 04:58:08 PM »
Natalie, I want to say that I have no idea where my dreams come from because they literally never make any sense in the slightest. I hate when I dream because they are always so random, never make any sense, and then there is the fact they are uncontrollable.
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26 Who can say that man is an animal?

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 05:36:22 PM »
That is the purpose of that proverb. Just as a dream doesn't make sense, is uncontrollable, and is random, so is a fool, by the multitude of his words, nonsensical, uncontrollable, and random, which makes it a vain thing to even talk to them. You literally just explained the proverb.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 08:13:55 PM »
Ecclesiastes 5:3 KJV
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

WillCullum

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: -5
    • View Profile
  • First Name: William
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 01:39:21 PM »
For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words.

Dreams come about by things you do during your day, or things you think about, or discussions you have, etc.

I would like to assert that in Ecc 5:3 the word "dream" means (A vain fancy; a wild conceit; an unfounded suspicion).  And the word "business" means (Concern; right of action or interposing).  In other words Ecc 5:3 tells me that busy-bodies cause unfounded suspicions.  When the passage is read this way in fits the context well.
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 05:05:33 PM »

I would like to assert that in Ecc 5:3 the word "dream" means (A vain fancy; a wild conceit; an unfounded suspicion).  And the word "business" means (Concern; right of action or interposing).  In other words Ecc 5:3 tells me that busy-bodies cause unfounded suspicions.  When the passage is read this way in fits the context well.
How? What your saying doesn't make sense to the context, which is why it was confusing to me to read you say that it "fits the context well." If we go back a couple of verses, the context is this:
Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil. Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.
-Ecc 5:1-2

The fool is going into the house of God and offering sacrifices as an outward pretense, or in other words, he doesn't really have any repentance (i.e. grief and godly sorrow) of his sin. So he goes in to offer his oblations under pretense, and then speaks vain words unto God that mean nothing because he has not cleaned out the inside of the cup and platter.
Therefore, as dreams make no sense because they come from a multitude of business, which have different contexts in different settings, being mixed together in a confusing way, so is a fool known by his words, or that by his long prayers and speeches unto God, we can see the foolishness and wickedness of his heart, which is often confusing, especially since he's a hypocrite.

The importance of the context of the word "dream" is that it is imagined to be real while the person who is experiencing it is asleep, but when we are awakened by the light, we come to our senses and realize that it was all fake. Thus, it is correlating more to this:
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light. Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
-Eph 5:11-14

That's why I tell people that I like to check the Bible's context to see which definition matches what's being said. I'm not always 100% accurate on it, knowing that I do err at times, but if we go through a list of definitions and "assert" which one we want, rather than checking the context of Scripture first before selecting which is the correct definition, then we end up becoming no better than those in the leavened new-age church buildings who rely on Strong's Concordance.
The Dangers of Using Lexicons and Concordances

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »
I thought it was well explained when Chris post

Simple and to the point. I read Williams post and I got confused. What source did you get the definition from?

WillCullum

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »
Websters 1828
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

WillCullum

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 09:48:01 PM »
I believe Ecc 5:1-7 all share the same context.  In this passage the word "dream" is used twice.  I believe the word has the same meaning in both instances and the meaning is: to be engaged in vain thoughts that don't pertain to the service of our Lord. I cannot reason in a fashion that would allow the use of the word "dream" in these instances to be related to sleeping like we generally do in bed at night.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 01:37:27 AM »
Will, I have to call you out on this one because that's deceptive. I know what you're doing, even if others here don't see it yet. Of course, I'll make a disclaimer that IF you did not catch yourself doing this, then it is simply error and not deception, but if you know what you're doing, that's deception. You went to Webster's 1828 to get your definition for 'dream'--I knew that before you posted that you did. You went straight to the third definition, and skipped over the first.
dream (n): the thought or series of thoughts of a person in sleep
You didn't tell everyone that, and that's why I tried, at first, to be gentle and say that claiming to "assert" the definition is not how we ought to read Scripture, but you continued to try to justify yourself, and now I'm very curious as to why.

You did the same thing with the definition of "business;" you skipped down to the fourth definition, instead of looking at the first. Instead of using the context of the Word of God for your foundation, you're cherry-picking from a list of definitions, selecting which ever definition satisfies your own theories. Again, that is precisely what the new-age leavened churchgoers are doing with their lexicons and concordances.

For example, on the term 'business' you specifically selected a definition that is NOT used in Ecc 5's Biblical context, in order to support your hypothesis. QUOTE:
"In other words Ecc 5:3 tells me that busy-bodies cause unfounded suspicions."
First of all, I want everyone to notice that I gave an explanation and interpretation of precisely what was being talked about, including prefaced context, whereas Will simply selected two specific fractions of definitions used. Second, Will, when you looked up 'dream', you honed in on the phrase "unfounded suspicions," and when you went to 'business', under the fourth definition, you applied it to Scripture in a way in which the word was not used. Look at the example from Websters under #4:
'What business has a man with the disputes of others?'
This is being used in a way of concern, like, "Hey, that's none of my business," meaning "That's none of my concern." I'll insert the word you're trying to make it say:
For a dream cometh through the multitude of concern; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words.

That simply does not make sense. I once had a dream that Michael J. Fox helped me escape a deserted island using an impossibly long step ladder to get onto a cruise ship that was passing by. I did not express any concern for deserted islands or Michael J. Fox during my week, but when I thought back on it, it was more because of my "business" or rather, the things which I did during my week, like seeing a video in passing that explain Fox's disability, talking with someone about boats (which led me to remember being on a cruise ship with my parents), etc, and that's because "a dream cometh through the multitude of business," and I know that you know this to be true (because we've all experienced it, which is why it is a good example in Scripture for all men to understand), so why are you fighting this?

QUOTE:
"I cannot reason in a fashion that would allow the use of the word 'dream' in these instances to be related to sleeping like we generally do in bed at night."

To say that you "cannot reason" this definition is absurd because that is what this passage of Scripture is talking about and I've already explained why; since this is what God meant by His Word, that means you are definitely capable of reasoning the Scripture according to this definition because he has given you that ability. You might be UNWILLING, but you are surely able. I could almost guarantee that every other person here could understand that concept, and they are welcome to speak up for themselves, but I would like to know why you would go so far as to claim that you "cannot reason" it in that same way, which we both know is not true.

So that no one else is confused by what you just said, let me quote the two verses in which the word dream is used in this passage:
(v3) For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words.
(v7) For in the multitude of dreams and many words there are also divers vanities: but fear thou God.

Verse 7 is actually affirming my previous post about the meaning of this passage; that dreams, which are the thoughts in our sleep, come about from a bunch of business that we do and think about while we are awake, and those dreams are vanity (i.e. useless). Unless God comes to communicate to a man in a dream, the dreams are vain, which is an analogy for us to understand the (useless) words of a fool, who also speaks in his vanity, speaking according to the multitude of his business, but not in accordance with repentance and faith in the Living God.

Just as the dreams we dream when we sleep are incoherent, vague, unintelligible, and unreasonable, so too are the words of the fool who comes into the house of God to offer oblations on pretense. When the Bible wants to refer to busybodies, there is a term God uses for that:
But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.
-1Pe 4:15

Now, that being said, the proverbs of Ecc 5 CAN apply to busybodies, because none of them should speak rashly with their mouths. I have used this verse to tell such people that, but the context is not speaking directly to busybodies; it is an analogy for men to understand that the mouths of those who are religious hypocrites will speak rashly, and cause swift destruction to fall upon themselves, when they perform religious traditions on the outside while rejecting the grief and godly sorrow (i.e. repentance) of their sins.

WillCullum

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »
Mr. Johnson, If you are leveling an accusation that you expect an answer to, I will submit and answer the accusation.  I will note that I have read your posts on this matter and I do not accept that Ecc 5:3 should be applied to why a person has scary dreams and further I believe the word "dream" in Ecc 5:1-7 is referring to something other than the visions a person has at night during sleep.  Having said that, if you wish to have the last word I'm okay with that and unless you demand an answer to an accusation I'm willing to let this matter rest.  I believe there are more important issues to spend time on.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »
The issue is not about a word; that's not what the contention here is about, so because of that, I think you may misunderstand why this important. The offense of the issue is how you are studying, which is a worldly pattern and approach to dictionary in relation to God's Word, and the deceptive manner by which you are attempting to teach others here because you do not understand what it is the context of the Word is saying, choosing rather to rely on Webster's 1828 dictionary as your primary foundation for understanding. That is error, and if you are not correctable in that error, then it is called deception. If you do not want to answer to that, by all means, you have the liberty to not answer it, but at the very least, I will be very cautious of you from now on, and stay vigilant to watch out for anything you post on this site.

Matt

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 4
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Matt
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 10:08:58 AM »
Natalie, I just thought I would say I've heard vitamin
B1deficiency can cause bad dreams. Through my
own experiments I find this to be true. Might be something
to consider checking into

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 09:40:57 PM »
So is a dream a vision from sleeping,  and a vision is when someone is a wake?

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 09:49:18 PM »
A vision is something supernaturally presented to the mind; as visions can come from the Lord, and also from devils if one gives him/herself over to devils. A vision can come during the day, as when Peter entered into a trance around noonday, or it can come during sleep.

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 10:16:47 PM »
Okay, this discussion seems to be going off the original topic a bit, but now I gotta ask; how would you tell the difference between a vision given to you in your sleep and a regular dream?

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 12:01:00 AM »
God will make it known, without doubt.