Author Topic: Jury Duty? What do I do?  (Read 3487 times)

clean country living

Jury Duty? What do I do?
« on: January 16, 2020, 09:30:43 PM »
Hi everyone,
I wasn't sure whether or not to post this topic here or in the Law Category, so here I am asking this question.

I read the teaching on False Doctrine: Unlimited Submission to Government and I understand that God has ordained their offices but not necessary ordained the person in office so my question isn't about legality but rather what do I do (biblically, James 5:12) if I'm selected as a juror?

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 454
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Jury Duty? What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 02:22:53 AM »
I don't understand the question. In a similar manner, it is like asking, "Should I pay taxes?" If paying taxes is part of one's duty as a citizen, then why would one ask if it is Biblical to pay taxes? And, by the way, it is absolutely a question of legality. If any tax-payer is called for jury duty in their respective state, they are required to show up. (That's why they get compensation.)
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

clean country living

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 07:29:00 AM »
I don't understand the question. In a similar manner, it is like asking, "Should I pay taxes?" If paying taxes is part of one's duty as a citizen, then why would one ask if it is Biblical to pay taxes? And, by the way, it is absolutely a question of legality. If any tax-payer is called for jury duty in their respective state, they are required to show up. (That's why they get compensation.)

Thank you.  I'm still learning so much and I'm trying to understand the teachings in the scriptures about SWEAR and OATHS. 
I do not have a clear understanding.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 08:29:08 AM »
I expect that when a true Christian is interviewed by a lawyer for the defense as a prospective juror, and they answer the questions based on biblical worldview, it is highly unlikely that they will be selected for the jury, you will probably be let go.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

clean country living

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 12:06:21 PM »
I expect that when a true Christian is interviewed by a lawyer for the defense as a prospective juror, and they answer the questions based on biblical worldview, it is highly unlikely that they will be selected for the jury, you will probably be let go.

Thank you so much

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 153
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 05:09:49 PM »
I live in New Zealand and got called up for jury duty a couple of years ago.  The only part I would have refused would have been if they had asked me to swear on the Bible.  In that situation I would have quoted to them from Matthew Chapter 5

Matthew 5 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: 34 but I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: 35 nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. 36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. 37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

So, will I put my hand on the book that says that you shall NOT put your hand on a book or swear by any item and thereby utter an oath and swear to tell the truth.  NO!!  But I can promise I will tell the truth which is what I am required to do as a believing Christian.

None of all of that was needed though because I didn't get selected for the jury.

I was also prepared to look at their "Bible" and if it wasn't a KJV I would have told them that it isn't a copy of the Bible and that it is a fake document. 

I wouldn't hesitate to be a part of a jury as it is about convicting and punishing evildoers and openly establishing facts and truth and setting the innocent and honest and law abiding citizens free.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 06:49:51 AM »
I served on a jury in Texas about 15 years ago or so and I was never required to do any of that. Jurors are not called to testify; all they do is listen to the evidence from both sides and try to determine which one is telling the truth. That does not require you to swear or affirm anything.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 153
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 04:43:23 PM »
Because I had never done jury duty before and didn't know exactly how the court system worked I wanted to be prepared in case it was required for jurors to make an oath that they did not know or have other association with the defendant or others involved that could then undermine the legal process.  More than that though, I saw it as just another way of perhaps drawing many people's attention to the word of God and that such an action may cause people to be saved.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 07:00:58 AM »
As far as I remember, when they asked questions of the prospective jurors, they just asked the group and all we had to do was raise our hands if the answer was 'yes'. We were not interviewed individually. The particular case I was on was a civil suit, not a criminal trial, so not sure if there would be any difference there.

zachshrader

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 21
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Zachary
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 07:49:04 PM »
That makes me wonder if they're going to try and make me swear in court in my trial for custody.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 454
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 08:17:13 PM »
Like Kevin said, you can quote Mat 5, and that for religious reasons you cannot swear an oath, but that you will affirm to tell the truth.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18