Author Topic: Negative Amazon Review  (Read 601 times)

Dan7

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: -49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Daniel
  • Belief: Christian
Negative Amazon Review
« on: February 24, 2023, 02:47:18 PM »
Hello everyone,

I noticed that Chris's book, "Why Millions of Believers on Jesus Are Going to Hell", has a popular one-star review on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RBERF71VPV5XY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07XDP5V2Y#RBERF71VPV5XY

The reviewer claims that Chris's book contains contradictions.

Here is an excerpt from his review:

"Chris goes on to say that anyone who preaches that you must turn from your sin is teaching a works-based gospel.
Chris is also condemning himself because based on this logic, he is also preaching works that it is a requirement that you MUST grieve and feel sorrow, or else you are not saved. He is using the emotion as the primary determiner for true understanding, which is fallacious. He says this while he states in location 70, “Also, do not make the mistake of thinking that I am about to teach you a false doctrine of works unto salvation, because a man is saved by grace through faith, as the Holy Scriptures clearly teach,” while he teaches a warped works-based gospel built upon an odd flavor of Catholic monasticism or asceticism."

He goes on to "crush" other parts of the book, and claims that it is ridden with "Catholic monasticism or asceticism."

Is his claim, "He is using the emotion as the primary determiner for true understanding, which is fallacious", correct? I would assume not, as the Bible states that repenting consists of godly sorrow for wrongdoing.

Thanks

Note: I'm not claiming that I agree with the negative review. I'm just notifying CLE members that one of Chris's main books has a popular negative review which may need to be addressed.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 02:49:41 PM by Dan7 »
"Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord... I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord." -Jeremiah 23:1,2

OsoWeakbutHeIsStrong

• CLE Church Members
  • Edification: 54
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Annalisa
  • Belief: Other
Re: Negative Amazon Review
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 07:55:53 PM »
When I read this post, at first I thought, "Who cares what some guy on Amazon thinks about Chris' book?" First of all, any hater can write anything about anyone's work and there are people that actually do just that.  This guy could be disgruntled from a former interaction with Chris.  In fact, it would seem that is the case due to the fact that he casually calls him Chris, rather than by Christopher which is the name on the book. So, that leads me to believe (and I could be wrong) that this man is someone who has some sort of a history with Chris, and is using the Amazon customer review section to strive.

Then I thought, "I'm sure that there are some negative customer comments.  I would expect nothing less since most people have zero understanding of what repentance truly means.  Most of the world has been taught false doctrine by their apostate church pastors and sadly, the title of Christopher's book is true.  Millions of believers on Jesus WILL be going to Hell, and it's all because of this wicked false doctrine that repentance means to turn from unbelief to belief in Jesus or to turn from not having faith to putting your trust and faith in Jesus. Or to just quit sinning, which I tried to do before I was saved. (It didn't work out for me so well).

The majority of people would give Chris' book a bad review just by reading the title.  Prideful professing Christians hate to examine themselves and therefore this book title is offensive to them.  The soft preaching they get in the church buildings along with their deep rooted false sense of security (due to their pride and not having a love for the truth) would automatically make them offended without even cracking the book open.  In fact, I'm surprised that it doesn't have MORE one star reviews.  Nobody wants to hear the truth these days, but that doesn't mean that we should be silent on these matters.

Moreover, if Chris' motivation was Amazon 5 star reviews, then he should probably write what most people want to hear.  Anything that would tickle their ears would be a good way to pump up those ratings.  He might take a tip from Joel Osteen who is pretty consistant with those 5 star reviews.  Here is JO's Amazon page.  The masses are raving about his false teachings.  Meanwhile MILLIONS are on their way to Hell. 

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Joel-Osteen/author/B001H6KYNY?ref=ap_rdr&store_ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

It's very sad and makes me sick that anyone...any baby Christian or non believing seeker might come across a Joel Osteen book and go to buy the book off this Amazon page and say, "hey, this guy has some pretty good reviews!  He MUST be on point!"

Or how about false teachers Joyce Meyer and Ravi Zacharias? All their books have consistant 4.7 to 5 star reviews.   Of course, I could go on and on about the countless other authors of books who have the love and respect and praise of the world, but does that mean they teach the truth?

18. If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
John 15:18-19

I know that you said that you're not claiming to agree with the negative review, but what are you claiming?

Note: I'm not claiming that I agree with the negative review. I'm just notifying CLE members that one of Chris's main books has a popular negative review which may need to be addressed.

You say that it may need to be addressed.  How would you go about that?  And again, what is the point?  Do you mean that Chris should go on there and write a rebuttal and strive on a public platform with someone who is obviously not born again?

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Galatians 5:19-21

Proverbs 17:14 - The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with.

That man has every right to write anything that he wants about Chris' book, and after clicking on the link and reading the first couple paragraphs, I think it's much better if Chris doesn't do anything, but lets this man's comment stand on it's own.  He exposes himself in his ridiculously long comment. After the first few paragraphs, who's going to take that seriously?  It's clear by the second paragraph that this man has no idea what he is talking about, and that he is a false convert himself. 

I seriously couldn't even read past the second paragraph.  I don't have the time to waste reading some unsaved persons opinion.  Anyone who has been born again has experience a grief and godly sorrow over sin.  It broke us and brought us to the foot of the cross.  Unfortunately, the man who wrote this will find out the hard way unless God humbles him and blesses him with a repentant heart. 

I think the best thing that Chris could do in this situation is simply to pray for this man who has been lied to by a preacher and due to his pride, he continues to lie to himself.  This man needs the understanding that can only come from the Holy Spirit.  Anything Chris says will have no effect.  Prayer is the most effective thing that he can do.  Praise God, the man even read the book! We can be thankful for that much.  I pray that a seed was planted and that someday God might do a work in him, and lead him into the truth.

Dan7

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 03:02:19 AM »
Hello Annalisa,

You're right, this guy probably has had a past encounter with Chris. I've also noticed the same thing: false teachers like Osteen or Meyer always have top-notch reviews, while those like Chris have dismal reviews (which I always expect from truthful authors). It's funny that Joel Osteen does receive lots of condemnation, but it's not from the world, it's from those pointing out his false teachings. I would laugh if he used John 15:18-19 to defend himself when he is criticized.

I included that note that I don't agree with the review so it won't seem like I'm using this negative review to attack Chris myself.

I just wanted to know how one would respond to such claims such as when the reviewer claimed "He is using the emotion as the primary determiner for true understanding, which is fallacious" and addressed such claims myself.

Here is my response to the reviewer's comment: you can't have repentance without sorrow/regret for your sins (as opposed to a quick prayer), and without repentance, you are not saved. As Chris stated, repentance is not a "free sample". I believe that the reviewer is claiming that it is possible to gain repentance without sorrow for wrongdoing, which is antithetical to the concept and definition of repentance.

Is this a valid refutation of the reviewer's claim? I would appreciate any feedback/correction.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 03:14:47 AM by Dan7 »
"Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord... I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord." -Jeremiah 23:1,2

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
    • Isaiah 42:12 Blog
  • First Name: Rowan
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 03:28:59 AM »
That review, left by "PJ Publications", is quite an old one (going back to September 2019), and it has in fact been discussed on the forum before. You can read that discussion here:

https://www.creationliberty.com/forum/index.php?topic=911.0

I found it by simply typing "Amazon" in the forum search box, although inputting "Amazon review" would get you there even faster (as I later realised). But you don't need to do that since I have provided you with a direct link to the thread above. Anyway, back in 2019, "PJ Publications" used to go by "JOY W.", so it would in fact appear to be a woman who left the review. (If you click the link to JOY W.'s profile in the old thread, it will take you to the profile for PJ Publications.) Back then, Chris said that he had not encountered her before, as far as he knew.

In that older thread from November 2019, Chris has gone over the review in great detail and refuted it quite thoroughly. So do have a read of what he says there, Dan. But as Annalisa has pointed out, it's not exactly surprising that someone would leave a bad review on one of his books, especially one dealing with such a crucial topic as repentance. In fact, from a Biblical standpoint, it would be far more concerning if Chris WASN'T getting bad reviews! In addition to what Annalisa quoted above, here are another couple of Scriptures to illustrate that point:

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. (Matthew 5:11-12)

Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets. (Luke 6:26)

For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. (Galatians 1:10)

So Chris getting a one-star review on a book like this is nothing to be alarmed about. In fact, it's cause for rejoicing in that he is being hated for preaching the truth. So it shows he's doing something right. It is a fair point though about Joel Osteen also getting widely condemned by those who wish to expose his false teachings. So when a bad review is given, it is naturally important to consider what is being said and what the context is. A bad review can certainly be warranted if it highlights genuine error. In this case though, "PJ Publications" is trying to promote their particular brand of false doctrine. In the process, they're speaking evil of Chris falsely. But as I say, have a read of that older thread concerning this very review.
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17)

Btrudy

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: -2
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Bill
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 01:47:47 PM »
id like to ask the author of that review to explain who the people are who Christ says will be turned away who were totally convinced they knew Him, and served Him. Who are those people? The author doesn’t spend any time addressing that. I’ve never heard it even discussed outside of CLE.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 01:57:02 PM by Btrudy »
Share your Christian testimony. Use words if necessary.

Dan7

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 04:57:13 PM »
Hello Rowan,

I coincidentally posted this as I saw the discussion on the forum with Joy W. I should have read on, but I thought that they were not the same person (different) names, which goes to show that I should have read on more before posting this. I agree with you that getting bad reviews is expected, similar to how those who evangelize receive angry comments while preaching. And finally, thanks for re-directing me to the older thread. I appreciate it.

Thanks

Pilgrim Mike

• Born Again Christians
  • Edification: 8
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Micheal
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 02:30:58 PM »
Chris is right when he says truth is not based on majority opinion so it doesn't matter what anyone says against his book. I've read his book and purchased several to give to people who are willing to read it. Chris is obviously not God and just a man like many of us and I'm sure he'll admit that. He has put in a whole lot of time and effort into writing that book and many others and I'm very sure he'll continue to do so. God has used his writings to help me grow in my faith even to the point where my blood relatives don't like to hang around me and people who say they're my friends have pretty much abandoned me because of my growth in Christ. The person and people like that person who posted the negative review is a false convert, a wolf in sheep's clothing. I highly encourage anyone to read his books and articles. I recommend his articles to people at work and especially to people that I talk to while preaching on street corners.