Author Topic: First try at fasting  (Read 406 times)

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 71
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
  • Belief: Christian
First try at fasting
« on: March 06, 2023, 12:55:37 AM »
Just wanted to give some feedback about Chris' advice on biblical fasting (no food for a set period of time, only water). I tried my first voluntary fast last week over a 5 day period to help with problems of temptation I've been having, and so far it's been the strongest help I've ever had.

It's amazing how much the hunger urge can overcome other urges when it kicks in, but even after a 5 day period, I was only just starting to experience occasional weakness (although that might have been from some yard work I tried during the fast), but it really is a good exercise in patience and self control. I can tell myself to "shut up, I don't need it" or try to find something else to occupy my mind with until said cravings go away.

A couple of bonus things about it, is not only does it allow your stomach to shrink a little and the body to cleanse, but I also had reminders of how grateful I should be for every piece of food and every mouth of liquid to drink I have, because without God's say so, I would have nothing.

How has anyone else fared at a long term fast, and do you have any other tips or tricks to help others in future? Thanks :)
Romans: {11:3} Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. {11:4} But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

Btrudy

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: -2
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Bill
Re: First try at fasting
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 07:11:38 AM »
I’m about to embark on a fast as well. So, your comment came at a most welcome time for me. Fasting is something that I haven’t heard talked about in a very long time. I don’t think churches teach it anymore. I think one of the things self denial does is show God we’re sincere. We need to practice it more often, and the only tip id have for you is to pray and seek God at the same time.  Thanks for sharing

Im no expert, but five days might be a long time for a first fast especially if you’re feeling weak.  Im sure others with more experience will weigh in on the subject
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 07:23:06 AM by Btrudy »
Share your Christian testimony. Use words if necessary.

Joshua JZB

• CLE Church Members
  • Edification: 27
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joshua
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 08:00:47 AM »
and so far it's been the strongest help I've ever had.

I've had the same experience, I have found fasting instrumental in battling various lust problems. So underrated! But I usually just do short fasts so I can fit it around work. I just wish it were easier and that I was more disciplined and consistent at it.

I've noticed for myself that eating a high protein, high fat, low carb as my last meal before seems to make it a lot easier. Especially the first 24 hours. Also I love bone broth, in general, but especially to break a fast, if I have any.
For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth. - Psalm 74:12

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
  • Edification: 71
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 08:50:34 AM »
Im no expert, but five days might be a long time for a first fast especially if you’re feeling weak.  Im sure others with more experience will weigh in on the subject

Well, I've kind of done something similar before, although I was pretty sick at the time with something, but that was only three days. Something else I did take during was a colon cleanse powder to help move things through (don't want too much sitting in the tubes for too long I think), but honestly 5 days wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, keep in mind the body can (supposedly) go for three weeks without food, most likely longer if you're a little bit stockier in build, but I remember I think Daniel was on a fast for three weeks, and Christ himself was on a 40 day fast...but that was no bread or water...call that another miracle because I don't think a normal person could even hope to survive that long without water.

Oh, and you're definitely right about "churches" not teaching it, closest I've heard is the whole Lent bunk where they say they'll fast mobile phone use, or something else that's ultimately a minor inconvenience at best. I remember hearing one person discuss fasting and relating it to the discussion of Mosaic law, where the fat of sacrifices was to be burned on the alter as a sweet savor to God, he thought maybe there was some link between the fat we burn when fasting and the fat that used to be burned on the altar...now do either of us know for sure? No, no idea but it's something to consider I suppose. But I haven't heard any teachings about it in church buildings, which is weird considering it's not exactly obscure or hidden in the new testament, and then there's always that verse that kept going in my head from Matthew 17:21 when Christ's disciples couldn't cast out an unclean spirit, then he told them:

"Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."

What makes me stand up and take note of this verse is that it's been removed from a lot of "modern versions". Simple math but I believe that if the modern perversions of the bible are the subtle work of the devil, then he would want to remove some of the most important parts, therefore, it can act as a guide of sorts as to what scriptures we should pay special attention to.
Romans: {11:3} Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. {11:4} But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.