Author Topic: "All is vanity and vexation of spirit"  (Read 440 times)

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 71
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
  • Belief: Christian
"All is vanity and vexation of spirit"
« on: March 24, 2023, 12:05:48 PM »
Just thinking about things that are going on in the world, and if anyone is feeling anxious about the state of society, economy etc, etc, I even have to remind myself of a lesson I learned a while ago, as King Solomon did in Ecclesiasties {1:9}

"The thing that hath been, it [is that] which shall be; and that which is done [is] that which shall be done: and [there is] no new [thing] under the sun. {1:10} Is there [any] thing whereof it may be said, See, this [is] new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us."

Thanks to a horrible choice in relationships in my early 20s, I ended up loaded in debt from a house and car that honestly I should never have been approved for on my salary at the time, but ultimately it was my foolish choice for signing on the dotted line. I did a lot to hold onto it, but the person I was buying the house with turned very selfish (even though she was paying nothing towards the bills or house) and eventually I had to declare bankruptcy, long story short. I came to the realisation that a car is just metal, glass, rubber and wires...there's no life in it, it doesn't love you, what's the point in fighting for it when it's destroying you? What's the point in trying to hold onto a house when it's just bricks, mortar, metal and plasterboard, there's no life in it, it doesn't love you back. I'm not at all pleased with having to declare bankruptcy but it ended up teaching me a valuable lesson, I might not have bowed or served those things but they were my primary focus and they weren't worth it.

Things will come and go in this world, but as I was discussing with my wife when we were discussing the subject of children and owning a house, she loves the idea of owning a house but she loves the idea of raising children properly more, and I don't think there's anything more important than trying to raise the next generation in the LORD. The lost souls are more important than any physical thing in this world, even as Christ said in Matthew 6:19:

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: {6:20} But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: {6:21} For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

As born again believers, we do not hold things of this world in high priority, but just saying, if you're worried about how you might be able to feed your family, take care of your parents or even eat yourself some days, don't forget:

Proverbs 91:7: "A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right  hand; [but] it shall not come nigh thee."

Matthew 6:25: Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more
than meat, and the body than raiment? {6:26} Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them.
Are ye not much better than they? {6:27} Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? {6:28} And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of
the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: {6:29} And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. {6:30} Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, [shall he] not much more [clothe] you, O ye of little faith?"

Hope you don't mind a bit of a thought process post, but even though I went through it I also need reminding of this sometimes, because even as wicked as I was, even today when I sin (no one wants to admit it, but we're going to spend the rest of our lives fighting against it, so there's no point in admitting we don't because it's a lie.) the LORD has still been so merciful and gracious enough to provide me with shelter, clothes, food, and best of all, forgiveness of sins, and we have a everything to thank him for, good and bad, because the good is an open sign of his loving kindness, and the bad is his way of teaching us in life. Take comfort in the fact that He's in control, always has been, always will be  :)
Romans: {11:3} Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. {11:4} But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: "All is vanity and vexation of spirit"
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 04:35:13 PM »
and if anyone is feeling anxious about the state of society, economy etc
Not really; however, it's not wrong to feel that way. We just have to change our way of thinking, and the reminder of verses is good. It's the reason why I don't feel anxious about it, but that's mostly because I do my best to turn my eyes away from it and not think on those things very much. It's better to think on the good things of Christ, and fill our minds with that first and foremost.

Remember that Paul was vexed in his spirit when he was having to suffer many of the things that he did. It is grievous to us when we see the wickedness around us.

That's why the promises of protection and preservation that Christ gives to His bride (i.e. the church) is so important, to know that the way a man would be cheerful and joyful to come and meet his bride is the same elation that the Lord Jesus Christ has towards His church. And even though that was enough, He furthermore gave us extra commandments to watch out for one another as well, so being linked into fellowship with other Christians is very key to the edification and exhortation that we need on a weekly (if not, sometimes daily) basis.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18