Author Topic: How do you tell the difference?  (Read 508 times)

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 71
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
  • Belief: Christian
How do you tell the difference?
« on: September 14, 2023, 01:50:02 PM »
Just wondering,

In current day and age, we have more people who've swallowed new age philosophies hook, line, sinker and in some cases the rod and reel as well, and whenever you come up with a counter point to anything they believe in, they love throwing out the line "well that's your truth." regardless of the evidence. I'm genuinely wondering, if they love categorizing between "someone's truth" and THE truth...how can the tell even tell the difference when so many of them are willing to basically say "well that's your opinion" when you give hard evidence to a truth that's right in front of them?

Has anyone managed to get through to them? If so, any tips on how to do it?
Romans: {11:3} Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. {11:4} But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 8
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Travis
Re: How do you tell the difference?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 03:23:56 AM »
How about something like this?
The world was here before you were. Therefore you didn`t make the world. Each and every thing in the world exists according to innate logic, such as dogs making dogs, and cats making cats, and cats behaving in cat-like ways, each according to their own innate logic. Simple observation proves the existance of this logic, and logic cannot exist without intent, as the absence of logic is chaos, and chaos never leads to cohesion, but only to destruction. Because life operates according to pre-established rules, it is up to us to correctly interpret reality, not to invent reality.

I`m not at all sure if this helps or not. It sounds like you`re talking about atheists. In those situations people are erroneously using the word truth as a stand-in for opinion. We can make our own opinions, but we can`t make our own truth. Truth is independant from opinions. If you`re talking about Christians, the explanation is much easier: just remind them of scripture.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
-Genesis 1

and

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
-John 14:6

I hope I`m not getting in over my head quoting Scripture here like this.

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 71
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 02:12:06 AM »
Not at all, they're good verses, and for those of us born again in Christ and know he can not lie, this is a good foundation.

My point was with so many people who are half way between "new agers" and full blown pagans who love the idea "everyone has their own truth."...I find most people who spout that line are often time wiccans. Thing is it's almost always used as a way to excuse any wrong doings that they might be accused of or remove any accountability for anything they're guilty of. But the way they talk, I think they genuinely believe everything is "subjective"...I mean I could always use the argument that if I dropped a rock on their toe and said "there's no pain there, it's all in your mind, that's your truth," to anyone using reason it points out how ridiculous that philosophy is, but then the proponents of that idea will basically "no, that doesn't count, it's only when I want it to be" or something to that effect.

The thing is the whole concept is like those people are culticly brainwashed, and they have to hold to said ideal regardless of how flimsy it is. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to break through that kind of programming and actually have a conversation with them and hopefully witness to them.
Romans: {11:3} Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. {11:4} But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 8
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Travis
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 03:42:52 AM »
I'm sorry, but I don't have much success in that department. The closest I get to success comes from doing the following:
Asking the other party to define the claims. Then, presenting a series of questions (never demeaning or demanding) asking them to consider a scenario.
A recent episode: A high school girl was tasked by her teachers to define and explain what being a 'world citizen' meant to her. She asked me what it meant, and without answering, I asked her what she thought it meant. She answered to the effect: 'it means to help people all over the world.' I then asked her if that might include helping poor kids in the Congo. She said yes. I asked her what she thought of poor kids in Japan, specifically those suffering child prostitution. She thought that Japanese child prostitution was bad. I asked her which problem she could have a more meaningful impact upon. She said it would be better to help the Japanese kids first. I agreed with her, and introduced her to the concept of the Golden Rule, and of fixing one's own house before attempting to fix another's.

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Matthew 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

She seemed to have appreciated our discussion. At least, I hope so. But whether or not she takes the messages to heart, I have no control over.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 06:57:15 PM »
they love to say "that is your truth" because the truth is the light and the light shine on there darkness deeds. they love the world and the ways of the world and when you give them the truth they will be willing blind to the truth to keep a justification to their deeds. the best thing to do is slowly keep giving the truth and the evidence to the truth. i cant say much on this because i dont have enough information on what truth you trying to give.

there are times where you just have to walk away. but before i do that i plant the seed and i water it and if there is no growth it is time to move on. dont give your pearls unto swine they will trample all over it.