Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 2427 times)

ponysu

Hi there
« on: March 07, 2020, 07:14:49 PM »
My name is Susi and I live near Eugene Oregon. I was raised Catholic and had my ah-hah moment in 7th grade religion class. When they explained why Martin Luther disagreed with several Catholic teachings such as the infallibility of the Pope I literally had a lightbulb moment, " he was right!" then I felt very odd. I looked around the room and realized if I did not believe like they did, that I was not Catholic.What was I? I knew I loved Jesus but I didn't know much else and could sure not ask my Catholic mother!

I spent years floundering around. Not knowing much. I finally got a King James Bible, eventually met my husband and got baptized as an adult. My husband and I were going to a Christian church together but we learned many things both about legal issues in this country ( we use the attorney Paul Hansen, I think you might be aware of him)  and things in the church such as why the tithe and why 501 c 3. So many questions our local churches won't address. We stopped going years ago. I was sad though, as I wanted to talk with other Christians, I felt so alone. I also wanted a real teacher .
This week I started praying to find a real church and I found this site. After reading some articles I shared it with my husband and now we are listening to the audio files. So glad to find some like minded people out there!

Dee Babbitt

• BANNED
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 29
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Dee
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 07:31:17 PM »
Welcome Susi, it is so good the Lord has answered your prayer and led you here :-)

It is truly good to find like-minded Christians.  We look forward to more conversations with you :-)

ponysu

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 10:22:28 PM »
Thanks I am excited to be here.

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 08:09:15 AM »
Hi Susi, I'm glad you found us, too! I just have a question, though. Could you please give us a little more detail about how you got saved? You said you got baptised as an adult after you met your husband but you really didn't tell us anything about what happened before you were baptised.

Have you read the article Chris wrote on repentance? Most churches teach about it incorrectly, if they talk about it at all, so I just want to make sure you understand what it actually means.

http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/repent.php

ponysu

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 01:49:12 PM »
I was afraid I would write a novel about how I came to God. I read the Book of Mormon in high school and decided it was wrong. I didn't seek much for quite awhile, I just knew I wasn't Catholic and that the Pope was evil and the Catholic church was wrong. I had a near death injury alone on a trail and prayed to not pass out so I could make it back and asked that someone would be at the barn ( I was horseback riding and got impaled on a tree branch) to call an ambulance. I was saved by God that day, and it cemented my belief but still I knew nothing.

In 2000 I moved and a neighbor started talking to me about Jesus. She was going to a Baptist church and taught some Bible studies there. she also had been raised Catholic and could answer many of my questions. I went to the Baptist church for about a year then got baptised there after going to a few classes. I was told to repent was to turn away from the sinful behavior. The Baptist pastor did talk quite a bit about that. I did feel awful for all I had done and for not searching harder sooner.
 I went there until I met my husband, we married in 2003 and started going to a local foursquare church they call it. We had seen some TV preachers and such. Some seemed to have some good sermons at the time, until we learned more about them.

Somewhere along the line, I was reading through the Bible and I thought a good thing to pray for was knowledge. I thought of that as I read about King Solomon. So my husband and I started praying for wisdom, understanding and knowledge. We got so much information we added asking for discernment to our prayers.

We learned much about the country, Catholicism, all kinds of things. We quit reading any version of the Bible other than King James, quit the 501 c 3 churches still prayed for fellowship somewhere.

I have been reading articles on this site and everything I have read has hit home as truth. The Catholic article was exactly what I thought and so wonderfully put together, I hope to share it with some Catholics although they probably will not speak to me again after I share the link to them. Still I pray they come to know the truth. I have tried in the past with family members and they chose to not speak to me or change the subject. So basically I am not in much contact with my family. I honestly don't know why I woke up that day in religion class but I am so grateful that the Holy Spirit got through to me that day.

I will now read the article of repentance you posted and will show it to my husband. Thank you so much.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 03:01:40 PM »
Hi Susanna

A welcome to the forum from me too and I also look forward to you being involved in the discussions in the forum.  I too can relate to knowing nothing when becoming a Christian and then having to stand against and stand apart from the established churchianity that others who claim to be Christians happily take a part in. 

It is good that you have found this site and I hope it is a part of both you and your husband growing a whole lot more in Christ.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 10:04:23 AM »
It's interesting that we never heard from her again. This was four months ago. She was very excited to be here, until she got the repentance teaching and said she would show it to her husband. That was last we ever heard from her. Her testimony seemed a bit strange to me because I could not find a place where she was converted unto Christ. The only thing I saw in her words is that she got stabbed by a branch, and then said she suddenly believed in God. That's not how the Bible tells us that sinners are converted unto Christ.

It's just sad how many come here and we see this same repeated process. They take the time to make an account, join us, tell us how excited they are, and then when we share repentance (i.e. godly sorrow of wrongdoing) and remission (i.e. forgiveness) of sins with them, they quickly move on. I hope that is not the case, but it very much seems like it based on the evidence so far.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18