Author Topic: Brian Moonan's Repentance Teaching (Oct 2018)  (Read 1538 times)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Brian Moonan's Repentance Teaching (Oct 2018)
« on: October 20, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »
Josh has earlier brought up the confusion with Brian's teaching on repentance, in another thread. (http://www.creationliberty.com/forum/index.php?topic=97.msg394#msg394)
This was before I did an update and rewrote the teaching I did on repentance.
(http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/repent.php)
To recap, we know that repentance is grief and godly sorrow of wrongdoing, just to preface this post.

I think there are few people that are afraid that I am somehow removing the "turn from sin" part from my teaching on repentance, but that is not the case. Repent does not mean "turn from sin," but turning from sin is connected directly to repentance. I teach that repentance leads a man to turn from his sin, which is what the Bible teaches us:
Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
-Luke 3:8

Therefore, we turn from sin, and that is part of our fruits, showing that we have a heart of repentance. However, it makes no sense to say that we turn from sin worthy of turning from sin, and that turning from sin and repentance are correlated together, but not the same thing:
But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.
-Acts 26:20

Now this brings me to Brian's teaching, which I just listened to this morning; well, I listened to most of it, but I shut it off towards the end because of an error:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/kjv-prepper/2018/08/21/truthdealer-radio-episode-27-repentance-and-faith-both-gifts-of-god
It all seemed to be great, and that he even taught at one point that we turn from sin, and that is part of doing works meet for repentance, so I thought, "Okay, maybe he's figured out that repent doesn't mean 'turn from sin'," However, there were a couple of points he made along the way that seemed to point to his belief that repent meant to turn, and then towards the end, he stated it a little more clearly.

I don't expect Brian to read anything I've written, don't misunderstand, but I don't know if he's ever read that teaching I did on it. If he did, I'm wondering what he didn't understand. I don't want to accuse Brian falsely, but his entire ministry, and much of the material he sells, is based on the word 'repent' meaning "to turn from sin."

Either he doesn't understand the matter, or he's ignoring it because of the work it would take to correct his logos and merchandise. I'm sure he's sold a lot of these, and to correct that would be hard to do. I praise God that I don't have all that merchandise, so when I make corrections, it's easier to do.

Sadly, I don't know which one it is for Brian, whether he's ignoring it, or he doesn't understand it yet, but he preaches against Stephen Anderson's false doctrine on repentance, while at the same time, teaching almost exactly the same thing on repentance that Anderson teaches. Is he unaware he's doing that? I don't know. The fact is that Anderson also teaches that repent means "to turn from sin," and if we have to turn from sin to be saved, then Anderson has a good argument, that would be works doctrine, but thankfully, the Lord God has shown us in His Word that repent does not mean "to turn," it means grief, sorrow, and pain unto our wrongdoing against God, and that Anderson is nothing more than a heretic without understanding.

I can't make anyone listen. We can just hope that Brian will see this one day, and I hope it will be more clear to him why there are so many people professing Jesus, but so few Christians.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Brian Moonan's Repentance Teaching (Oct 2018)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 09:54:15 PM »
I listened. To you and others.
Praise the Lord!
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.